Everythings wrong with this poor turtle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
She looks much more comfortable. As I stated earlier, I've seen box turtles in much worse shape than this so I believe she will come around. Keep her warm and humid and make her comfortable. Then ask at PetSmart if they have any nightcrawlers. I think she will eat eventually. She looks alert. My 16 month old juvenile box turtle is the same size as her, that's amazing. I'm not saying she's too small. My juvenile is huge!!

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
Wow, bless her heart, great save. Well done!! She'll do great with you. :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Maybe she doesn't recognize box turtle type food as "food." When this happens you have to go back to what they're used to eating. So take some bread and cut it up into little squares, then mix in a very tiny bit of fruit or tomatoes and a teeny tiny bit of chopped up red leaf lettuce, but heavy on the bread. If she eats that, then over the next few weeks gradually cut back on the bread and increase the good stuff.

Val_d

5 Year Member
Blackfalds, AB, CAN
I bought some ProPlan Chicken cat food and put a bit in there. I also mixed up some squash and carrots in a small bowl and put it in with her. She actually sniffed the cat food (it super smelly, yuck) and then went to hide again. So maybe I'll keep offering her things.

I think you're right about the bread. I probably need to put it in there and see if she will eat some.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Whenever I have a sick box turtle, or one who doesn't eat, I get canned venison and sweet potato, by Wellness (dog food). Everyone loves this and I gradually add some greens and fruit, as I reduce the venison. I also feed this before they go into hibernation for the Winter to put some fat on them. I also start off some babies with this too.

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
PIZZA??......this is not a Ninja turtle cartoon...I can not believe that...poor thing

Val_d

5 Year Member
Blackfalds, AB, CAN
Yes. Isn't that insane? Amazes me, the crap some people feed their pets. She's dong better tho, not as dry looking and I THINK she ate some of the cat food mixture I put in there the other day. She turded today when I bathed her so I think she's feeling better. :). Thank you everyone for the advice and the kind words, I feel better about the whole situation now. I'll keep trying new things til she's eating more.

Status
Not open for further replies.