Everythings wrong with this poor turtle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Val_d

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Blackfalds, AB, CAN
So I had to 'adopt' this poor 3-toed box turtle from people who apparently got it from owners who did not look after her. They said she was raised in a small shoe box and was fed pizza and bread. I got her today and she is in quite a state. Her beak is about 1/4- 1/2" inch below her bottom jaw and her toe nails are more like claws, super overgrown. She has what appears to be some sort of shell rot on her plastron. The guy I got her from said she only ate a small amount of veggies since they had her (2 weeks).
I have other torts and turtles but have never had a box turtle so I'm not familiar at all with them. I have been reading tons on here and on the net. The overgrown nails and beak are way out of my experience level. Is this something people can do or is a vet the best option? I feel awful for her (i believe its a female)and I've never seen such a neglected turtle. She has not even looked at food. I soaked her when I brought her home to see if she'd perk up but not really. I'm not sure what to do to make her eat and what would be the best to get her back on tack. I worry she's too weak to survive.

They thought (but weren't too sure) she was about 12 years old. She weighs 224 grams, a half pound. She seems very frail. Not sure what's normal for that age.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanx

image-4030074725.png

image-2425373037.png

image-2661892269.png

image-3174769997.png

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
With the exception of her beak and nails, she looks not nearly as bad as I feared reading your post. Honestly, I've seen them in a lot worse shape. I'd take her to a vet for a beak and nail trim and go from there. Soak her in slightly warm (in the 80's) water every day for now and keep her enclosure warm and humid. Give her sphagnum moss to bury herself in. And to get her to eat, try some nightcrawlers. They love those. Yes, it looks like a her. A female three toed box turtle. 224 grams is small, but she looks like a small three toed. How does she feel? Does she feel hollow when you hold her? What is her SCL? I have a juvenile three toed that is 4 inches SCL and just under 200 grams. Oh, I'd also keep mild heating on her during the night for now. Just to keep her immune system up. She is adoreable. Just make sure you keep her enclosure at the right temps and keep it humid! I'd keep the cool end in the mid 70's and the basking spot in the low 90's for now.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I was going to also suggest trying her on some live food, like the suggested night crawlers.

When the toe nails go in all directions like that it means the turtle is suffering from MBD, so its important that she receives vitamin d3 either from the sun or from her calcium-rich food.

Val_d

5 Year Member
Blackfalds, AB, CAN
All I have at home now are giant mealworms and waxworms that I feed to the gecko. Will those be suitable or do you think the nightcrawlers (is that the same as an earthworm?) are a better choice? I'm sure I can get some at the pet store although I've never seen them there.

Also, when I held her, she seems very hollow, like you are literally holding an empty box. She's lethargic and panicked like crazy when I put her in a bin with about an inch of warm water. So I put my hand under her and sort of held her.

I read that when they are scared they will tuck into their shells. She's hasn't done that so I don't know if its because she's NOT afraid or maybe she's too weak or damaged to be able to.

I'm going to bathe her again and then maybe ill try the worms. I just can't see how she can eat tho with her beak so overgrown. The pictures don't really do it justice either. It just doesn't seem possible that she would be able to get food in her mouth like that.

I will try again. I'll get a picture of her bathing and post soon.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
She might feel light because she's dehydrated. Put her into a tub of warm water with high sides so she can't escape. Have the water come up to the middle of her sides where she doesn't have to strain to keep her head above water, and just leave her there for about a half hour. Check on her frequently to be sure she doesn't tip over upside down. Don't feel sorry for her and take her out because she seems afraid, as this is what she needs.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I'm sure she'll eat the mealworms and waxworms, but nightcrawlers are their favorites. PetSmart usually carries them but you have to ask for them because they are refrigerated in the back. I agree, her beak will make it difficult for her to eat. That's whey she needs a vet visit to help trim it a little. After that, keep cuttlebone in her enclosure. Do you have a reptile knowledgable vet?

It also wouldn't hurt (just to get her to start eating) to give her a little canned cat food or dog food with veggies mixed in. Not a good diet staple, but if it wets her appetite it may be worth it.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
I buy nightcrawlers at the grocery store, where they are kept in a bait cooler at the front of the store. They also sell earthworms, which are simply younger smaller nightcrawlers.

Val_d

5 Year Member
Blackfalds, AB, CAN
She measures about 4" long and 3" wide.

image-2157072800.png

Here's another view of her front nails, although her face is blurry.

image-4065180471.png

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My heart breaks for this turtle after seeing the picture of her on your palm. She's looking at you with so much trust on her face. And to think she's been treated poorly in the past.

You may have to wean her off of pizza and whatever else that was and onto the good foods slowly. But I'll be something that wiggles will get her attention.

Val_d

5 Year Member
Blackfalds, AB, CAN
Okay great. After her soak I will try the worms I have and see what sort of meal I can put together for her. I don't have any cat or dog food tho. Maybe mushed up Mazuri? Will she take that?

emysemys said:
My heart breaks for this turtle after seeing the picture of her on your palm. She's looking at you with so much trust on her face. And to think she's been treated poorly in the past.

Yes she's pretty adorable, even under these circumstances. She will fit into our family for sure.

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
OMG. POOR THING! Funky nails are usually a sign of MBD. plus I imagine you can't get much sunshine in a shoebox. :(. Is her shell soft? I think if she has made it this long and it looks like she can at least hold herself up she will make it. Definitely needs a little mani/pedi and some trimming on those lips. ;). I wonder (and I don't know) but I THINK without proper care their shell doesn't grow...so I wonder if her body could be too large to completely fit in her shell? I don't know if that's possible or not...I just had a one year old boxie a few weeks ago that was the size of a 2 month old..he didn't make it. But his shell was soft you could actually see it moving when he was breathing. He never went into his shell either...but he also only had the use of one front leg. The others were stiff and didn't move. They stuck straight out. So he may not have been able to pull himself in. I think with lots if TLC she will be fine...and it looks like she trusts you already so she may be the friendliest turtle you have ever seen after getting all this special attention!

Val_d

5 Year Member
Blackfalds, AB, CAN
Well I tried a few things today to feed her but no luck. Wasn't able to find any nightcrawlers tho at any pet stores. I'll try a fishing store this week.

I gave her 2 soakings and will try again tomorrow. Hoping the reptile vet can squeeze her in tomorrow too. She definitely seemed more alert after her baths so I feel a bit better about her now. I was pretty freaked out when I first got her.

Kate

5 Year Member
Hey, you are doing a wonderful thing! Check Walmarts fishing/outdoor section, remember you have to ask for them :)

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Please let us know how she does at the vet. Sure will be good to see her nails and beak trimmed. Perhaps even a tube feeding to get her started?

Val_d

5 Year Member
Blackfalds, AB, CAN
So, good news! I took "Emma" to the vet today. He wasn't near as concerned about her as I've been. He said she for sure has not had a good life and was extremely dry. The hole in her bottom shell was old and he didn't think it needed treatment. He said I pretty much had to let that heal over time. He said her bones are frail and she's underweight. He said to keep her humidity up and bathe daily until she looked better. He trimmed her nails and beak and honestly, she looks like a different turtle altogether. Bottom line was, she desperately needs some TLC.

He said to keep an eye on her regarding the eating, that she would probably start to eat once she felt better and was more comfortable in her new home. She peed on me after her bath today so I know she's taking in liquids at least. :) I'm still worried about her not eating but will monitor it closely. He said if she's not eating by next week to bring her back. He just wasn't a big fan of force feeding and feels she'll come around. I've read tho that they may starve themselves. That scares me. I even bought 2 kinds of commercial Box Turtle food to see if maybe that's what she's been eating before. No luck tho.

Am I overreacting? Here are the pics I took tonight. She was way more active today as well.

image-2102570213.png

image-106574094.png

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
She looks MUCH better. Try some cat food, mealworms and superworms usually get results.

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
Sometimes it is good to just let them be in their cages until they acclimate a little. Maybe after leaving her alone (only changing water and food once a day) then you can try to offer something out of the cage again. Maybe she just needs to feel secure . And she looks GREAT after her spa day btw

theTurtleRoom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lititz, PA
emysemys said:
When the toe nails go in all directions like that it means the turtle is suffering from MBD, so its important that she receives vitamin d3 either from the sun or from her calcium-rich food.

This is jumping the gun a bit. Funky nails are a symptom of many causes, so no need to jump to MBD. They can also be caused by too dry of a habitat or just not having a place to file them down.

Status
Not open for further replies.