Eros And Gaia's Summer Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Crystal Unicorn
Just got finished with the Summer Home! The enclosure itself is 3'x8' and should finish up the summer and maybe next summer for size.

The Run itself is my old raised garden I used to keep WalkingRock out of my tomatoes and other veggies. I cleaned all the "Undesireable" veggitation out of it, layed in some nice sod from a friends organic farm and made the enclosure out of 2"x1" boards and some "Wire Cloth" (3/8th in. grid mesh). I will finish it up tomorrow with handles on top and 1" corner trim around the top to cover stapled edges.

This is where the kids hung out while I worked on thier new yard.
DSCN0812-Copy.jpg

This is the start of the project.... you can see the kids at the far end of the Run.
DSCN0811-Copy.jpg

The Sod goes down way easy!
DSCN0813-Copy.jpg

Then I built them I nice little hide with fake bolder and fake ivy but a real piece of driftwood.
DSCN0882.jpg

Heres a distance view...
DSCN0885.jpg

....and a close up with the cover on it....
DSCN0886.jpg

...and another distant view with the cover!
DSCN0887.jpg
DSCN0879.jpg
DSCN0876.jpg

....and this is the table I'm trying to grow grass on this summer so I can use it as thier indoor winter home after the grass grows and some more modifications are made!
DSCN0880.jpg

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Nice. Shade is important for all tortoises in the direct sunshine. Nice work.

nicoleandrocky

5 Year Member
California
This is looking really good :)
Love how you have the torts wait while you are finishing up. lol

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
They spent the whole day in their new yard. I checked on them several times during the day and they where always someplace differant and usually on oppisite side of the enclosure from one another. I'm happy to see them moving around and lots of area to do it in!

nicoleandrocky

5 Year Member
California
Zamric said:
They spent the whole day in their new yard. I checked on them several times during the day and they where always someplace differant and usually on oppisite side of the enclosure from one another. I'm happy to see them moving around and lots of area to do it in!

Looks like that is where they want to be in the summer :)

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Well,Eros and Gaia spent their second day in the Sunshine and confined by wire. Eros really seems to like it! he wonders from end to end and knows he can take a break in the middle. Gaia on the other hand walks up to the wire and climbs partway up and looks like an inmate longing for the outside.... really pitiful! Maybe she is just trying to eliminate tan lines!;)

I gotta tell you, it's kinda nerve wracking having my babies outside un-supervised but I trust my build. I am protected from birds and cats (my biggest preditors) and pretty much excape. the bottom of the mesh conforms to the terrain. Should I put anything else in there besides water? I know tortoises don't "play" persay but what kind of stimulation can I put in for them?

joncro55

5 Year Member
I would even go futher as to put another level of wire mesh around this cage. Does not have to be anything crazy, but you migth end up kicking yourself, if, god, forbid, something gets through these layers.

If you have more layers of fencing or wire mesh, it will take any predator a hell of a lot more effort and time to get through to their ultimate goal. (Maybe try something like a 4 x 4 mesh outside layer? http://www.bwire.com/ )

Also, remember shade is very important for all of these little guys, you don't want the epidermis to get too dry, or health hazards may follow. They should have a choice between cool and warm outdoor conditions.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Two questions, if you please. First, so the wire wall in front (and maybe the other sides as well) are not hooked to anything?

Second, your table. You made sure it will fit through the doorways? :D Actually won't it be kinda heavy to move?

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Jacqui said:
Two questions, if you please. First, so the wire wall in front (and maybe the other sides as well) are not hooked to anything?

Second, your table. You made sure it will fit through the doorways? :D Actually won't it be kinda heavy to move?

Question 1] the cage as a whole fits down inside the raised bed buy about 6". The only part of the wire that doesn't fit against a wall is the West end and it accually sinks between two pieces of sod.

Question 2] Doorways?:rolleyes: I didn't think about that, but now that you mention it... Ill be removing the legs and setting down on milk crates. The dirt is only 2" deep and once the grass gets established I HOPE I can tilt it though the doorway:shy: hehehehe Hind sight is 20/20;)

Status
Not open for further replies.