Endless supply of worms

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
Because we have homeana hingebacks I need a good supply of worms. I've made a wormery in the past but that was hit and miss, to buy worms from the fishing shop at £5 / 0.5kg is too expensive.
So back to the good old compost bin, these bins are only about £5. We have an endless supply of worms, pillbugs and slugs from this bin.
All we do is throw in veg peelings, plant clippings and grass, lots of grass. Also any uneaten Tortoise food goes in here. Did I mention grass, worms love decomposing grass. As everything decomposes it generates heat, heat rises and so the worms follow the heat.
So all I do is scrape away at the layers of decomposing grass on the surface with a fork and collect the worms, there is literally 1000's in here. Plenty of woodlice and slugs too.
An easy free recycling way for protein, no hard digging in the garden, its a year round supply, I also know what's going in the compost bin too(no pesticides).

IMG_20161009_105625.jpg IMG_20161009_105606.jpg IMG_20161009_105654.jpg IMG_20161009_105722.jpg IMG_20161009_105815.jpg IMG_20161009_105854.jpg IMG_20161009_110730.jpg IMG_20161009_110853.jpg

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I've never understood why anybody who has an omnivorous turtle or tortoise does not raise their own worms. It makes no sense

TempestRising

Austin, Texas
:eek: Ewwwwwww! Lol J/K... My 4 year old helps me with our little (growing) compost pile. We haven't gotten to the worms part yet....:rolleyes::D

Ellen & Toby

Cheshire, UK
Hi this is an interesting idea and I would maybe like to give this a go for my Redfoot as Toby doesn't really seem to like the chicken very much so i'm looking for an alternative protein source. Where did you get the worms to start this off? Is there any particular type of worm that people would recommend?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Hi this is an interesting idea and I would maybe like to give this a go for my Redfoot as Toby doesn't really seem to like the chicken very much so i'm looking for an alternative protein source. Where did you get the worms to start this off? Is there any particular type of worm that people would recommend?
I didn't put any worms in, there is no base on the compost bin so I assume they came from up the ground. These are dendrobaena worms

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
When I had my last box turtle, all I had to do was spray some water on the ground, throw some cardboard over the area, and the next morning, I'd collect 10-20 earthworms.

I also find them under my water vessels outside all the time too. I pick them up and put them in all my planters.