Enclosure question

ccalderon

My sulcata is around 9 months, is it necessary that his entire enclosure be maintained at around 80% humidty or is providing a decent sized humid hide suffient? And allowing the humidty level in the rest of the enclosure to drop? We are about to upgrade to a larger size to give him more space and need some advice:)

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
I would not take the chance on allowing the humidity to drop. The "out of the woods size" for establishing a smooth shell growth pattern is really not precise. You could test dropping the humidity. If you see any signs that pyramiding is developing then you can up the humidity again. I hope you share your results with us so that we can all learn a little more.

ccalderon

I definitely will! Thank you for your response. His shell is very smooth now. He seems to dislike the moist substrate clinging to his body. I say that because he is far more active in a little drier environment where he is provided a water dish that he goes into as he wants. I soak him daily and when I take him outside he is very active. I think he was initially raised in a drier environment and dont know if maybe theres a preference to that because of upbringing or if thats even a thought a tortoise would have.