El Merlin's short story

El_Merlin

Location (City and/or State)
Northern Ca.
A short story about El Merlin.

I rescued El Merlin from a small local pet shop in my late teen's. He had been a dogs chew toy, had a severely fractured plastron, puncture wounds on his feet and carapace, and plenty of parasites/worms. Yes the pet shop was "selling" him! 😡 Fast forward 35 years, El Merlin as he is known by family and friends is a happy member of our family. During the day, he roams around our home looking for and playing with his toys, he is known for chasing the cat, climbing on our feet during dinner, or while we are working/gaming on the computer. He happily wakes from his evening nap to have his own candy snack while we watch a movie and have popcorn. He also enjoys afternoon walks in the park, periodic soaks, and having his chin and head rubbed. We are happy to have him as part of our family, and is very well loved. :tort:

Why am I telling you this short story, well like me, El Merlin is moving out of his prime years and I'm looking for a place where I can find folks to discuss topics about El Merlin and his retirement years, looking forward to posting questions as they show up. 🤠

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm assuming el Merlin is a desert tortoise?

Welcome to the Forum!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Glad you were able to rescue him. Would be nice if you gave him his own inside enclosure and his own safe outside enclosure. Roaming house floors are dangerous and roaming a neighborhood that you may not know what has been used on grasses as far as pesticides can also be very dangerous.
There are many threads on this forum about the dangers of roaming house floors and having his own safe indoor and outdoor enclosure wouks be giving him his best life.

El_Merlin

Northern Ca.
Glad you were able to rescue him. Would be nice if you gave him his own inside enclosure and his own safe outside enclosure. Roaming house floors are dangerous and roaming a neighborhood that you may not know what has been used on grasses as far as pesticides can also be very dangerous.
There are many threads on this forum about the dangers of roaming house floors and having his own safe indoor and outdoor enclosure wouks be giving him his best life.

Hi Wellington,

Likewise, we are very glad he was rescued and survived. The effort and cost was a lot more than the average just to get him back to good health. He still has the scars and gouge marks on his shell, but in the end somehow ended up with a wonderful personality. He has also become a special part of our family. I would definitely rescue him again, all of our family pets have been rescue or adopted.

I completely agree. When he is inside on playtime, we watch him when indoors and have kid/tortoise proofed the areas he has access to. The rest of the house is off limits and restricted.
He has both an enclosure for indoors and outdoors. We have 4 legged "friends" that run through our yard regularly in the late and early hours, so we put him to bed indoors. During the day and early evening during the warm periods he is outside unless it's playtime.

As far as the park, completely agree, this is a warning to be very well heeded indeed, thank you. We are always careful to check for for both pesticides and other lawn care treatments. We also live in a small town near the park, it's pretty easy to know when the park has been treated, and we are always cautious to check for signs. If we don't know the back yard lawn is the next place he gets access to.

Thank you for the words of caution and recommendations, very much appreciated. I'm glad to see I have joined a supporting forum with good opinions and advice.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hi Wellington,

Likewise, we are very glad he was rescued and survived. The effort and cost was a lot more than the average just to get him back to good health. He still has the scars and gouge marks on his shell, but in the end somehow ended up with a wonderful personality. He has also become a special part of our family. I would definitely rescue him again, all of our family pets have been rescue or adopted.

I completely agree. When he is inside on playtime, we watch him when indoors and have kid/tortoise proofed the areas he has access to. The rest of the house is off limits and restricted.
He has both an enclosure for indoors and outdoors. We have 4 legged "friends" that run through our yard regularly in the late and early hours, so we put him to bed indoors. During the day and early evening during the warm periods he is outside unless it's playtime.

As far as the park, completely agree, this is a warning to be very well heeded indeed, thank you. We are always careful to check for for both pesticides and other lawn care treatments. We also live in a small town near the park, it's pretty easy to know when the park has been treated, and we are always cautious to check for signs. If we don't know the back yard lawn is the next place he gets access to.

Thank you for the words of caution and recommendations, very much appreciated. I'm glad to see I have joined a supporting forum with good opinions and advice.
Wow, thank you for taking my post in the way it was intended. So many just get defensive and argumentative.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Sorry to be the one.....

But El Merlin doesn't exist until we see PICTURES!!

Come on EM, you know the drill....everyone wants to see pics of your 35 year rescue!!

Oh yeah, darn manners......Welcome!!

Jeff

BTW- Unlike Mr. Mackey in South Park, I did not lose my Father to tooth decay, but I likely lost my Clemson, a 15 yr old Sulc to "free-roaming"......fwiw to you.

El_Merlin

Northern Ca.
Sorry to be the one.....

But El Merlin doesn't exist until we see PICTURES!!

Come on EM, you know the drill....everyone wants to see pics of your 35 year rescue!!

Oh yeah, darn manners......Welcome!!

Jeff

BTW- Unlike Mr. Mackey in South Park, I did not lose my Father to tooth decay, but I likely lost my Clemson, a 15 yr old Sulc to "free-roaming"......fwiw to you.
LOL Sure enough and thank you Jeff! As soon as I have chance I'll post some, in the mean time my profile pic is a picture of El Merlin having his candy while the family watches a movie.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
LOL....duh, never really look at profile pics too hard.....is he so rich that he lays in a bed of food?

Good for you with the family-movie time!!! Whew, some folks still know!

Look forward to him Striking a pose for you!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi, El_Merlin and welcome to the forum.

Please do not ever allow your tort to roam around the house, which could be dangerous. I used to do it with Oli (my Greek tort), until I joined the forum and learned that this should not be done.

Would be glad to see pics of your tort.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
What a good thing you found El Merlin when you did - he is very fortunate. Do you have any idea how old he was when you first met him?
There are several tortoises on this forum who are quite elderly, by human standards, and so he may just be moving into his prime, rather than moving out of it. I think he may have got a good few years of fun and frolics ahead of him yet, before you need to think too much about his retirement - though of course, his early years suffering may lead to problems later.
Anyway, he is a very lucky fellow to be with you and your family.
Best wishes from Angie

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
What a good thing you found El Merlin when you did - he is very fortunate. Do you have any idea how old he was when you first met him?
There are several tortoises on this forum who are quite elderly, by human standards, and so he may just be moving into his prime, rather than moving out of it. I think he may have got a good few years of fun and frolics ahead of him yet, before you need to think too much about his retirement - though of course, his early years suffering may lead to problems later.
Best wishes from Angie
Oh yes, he definitely is lucky.

El_Merlin

Northern Ca.
Best wishes from Angie
Hi Zolasmum, Angie,
He was full size when he was rescued, so I'd guess 10-15 years? That is if the internet is correct about Russian Tortoise size and ages. Speed that along by about 35 years and the estimate is currently 45-50? I'm sure he has quite a few good years ahead of him. He shows no signs of slowing down and is regular as a clock with his habits and needs. We are very happy that he has settled in with our family so well indeed.

El_Merlin

Northern Ca.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Hi Zolasmum, Angie,
He was full size when he was rescued, so I'd guess 10-15 years? That is if the internet is correct about Russian Tortoise size and ages. Speed that along by about 35 years and the estimate is currently 45-50? I'm sure he has quite a few good years ahead of him. He shows no signs of slowing down and is regular as a clock with his habits and needs. We are very happy that he has settled in with our family so well indeed.
I was very moved by your story of his life so far, and I just wanted to say how wonderful it is that you have cared for him so well - if he could talk, I'm sure he would tell you how grateful he is to you and your family - so I'm saying it for him.
Best wishes from Angie