Edible Landscaping Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaraDodrill

5 Year Member
Reviewed my printed list Yvonne posted a month ago and searched online again, but still can't find answers about several trees in my yard. Want to make sure they are safe for Sulcatas. Babette lives to eat leaves and leaves from these trees could blow into their planned enclosure.
Ornamental pear
Oak
Walnut, although it is far away, I'm still concerned

Thank you in advance, awesome forum experts!!

TaraDodrill

5 Year Member
RE: Edible Landscapung Question

It is an ornamental Pear tree, that's all I know. Doesn't grow pears.
We have a red maple and a flowering crab apple. Golden maple, oak and walnut are next door at one of our rentals.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
RE: Edible Landscapung Question

Flowering pear leaves fall into Dudley's pen all the time and he eats them. I think they are on the "do not feed" list, but the tortoises don't really pay attention to those lists.

Walnut and oak are also supposed to be toxic.

TaraDodrill

5 Year Member
Thank you very much. Any idea about the crabapple? It's a good distance from the enclosure, but I just want to make sure.

I keep reading conflicting info about giving beans and peas to Sulcatas. Thoughts?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
http://www.naturehills.com/catalog/trees/flowering_pear_trees.aspx

Are any of these the ornamental flowering pear tree you have?

http://www.reptilechannel.com/reptile-health/reptile-toxic-plants.aspx

All the the trees you listed appear to be on the toxic list above, I have reviewed others and they are generally a common item on other toxic lists.....now, remember that because they are showing as toxic does not mean that if your tortoise gets some from time to time it does not mean it will harm your tortoise...however, if your tortoise is allowed to graze on the leaves and seed pods fallen (and dead leaves and seed pods usually are more toxic than while alive and green) on a constant basis then they may have issues....

So, perhaps you just make sure to do a raking of their yard a few times a week (or as needed) to make sure their exposure is limited, you know?

Wait round a bit to see if the others have additional first hand knowlege....:D

TaraDodrill

5 Year Member
Thank you for your help. Will review the links with my hubby and see.

Status
Not open for further replies.