Eco earth nightmare

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northeast Tennessee
So I used Eco earth in my sulcata enclosure and it's turned out to b a nightmare. That stuff is freaking everywhere. The poor baby's burrow in it and then it's stuck all over them. I was thinking of putting something a little less messy on top of it. The Eco earth does good holding moisture so I was thinking a thick layer of wood chips over it would maybe lessen the mess. I been looking at them and I have seen fir bark and Douglas bark and forest bark. What would b the best for the baby's?

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
I don't know about sulcatas but I am leery of wood chips for many reasons. What works for me & my crew is to mix fine aged organic compost ( good soil with no additives) into the coir.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Coco coir (eco earth) will eventually settle down. May I ask though, why do you mind them getting dirty so much? There are no tortoise washes out in Africa. They burrow and get dirty. It is part of their job. I can't wait to hear your reaction when their little faces start getting stained with food! :)

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Oh! And welcome! Can't wait to see more pics and hear more of what you are doing to take care of your little guys!

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I put fir bark on top & it works well for me.

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
Coco coir (eco earth) will eventually settle down. May I ask though, why do you mind them getting dirty so much? There are no tortoise washes out in Africa. They burrow and get dirty. It is part of their job. I can't wait to hear your reaction when their little faces start getting stained with food! :)
Ok my secret is out, I have OCD about things being clean, neat and organized. Now I know they are going to get dirty, that's what they do and I am cool w this, I have that under control. it's the part where it's all over everything. I also worry, about everything, I worry about them eating it, they prefer their food on a rock so of course it gets spread out all over the place and then they just nibble as they walk around, getting pieces of it w their food and when they dig it's all over their eyes, will that hurt their eyes? I soak them 3-4 times a day so they get cleaned up frequently but they will have it right back in their eyes as soon as I put them back in there. And then I also worry that maybe I have it to wet, maybe there needs to b a dry layer over top all that wet "dirt". ?? Shoot, I don't know. And yes, when they eat they have little pieces of stuff all over their faces and if I see it I get it off, just how I am. They don't seem to mind me cleaning them up tho.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Yes, you can oversoak a tortoise. Food will pass through the gut too fast for them to absorb nutrients. Are these hatchlings?

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
The longest is 20 minutes but it's usually more like 10-15, just depending on how much time I have. Of course they get a good one after we come in from getting our sun rays and we always get one in the morning. They take a good warm bath while I fix their food, this is usually their longest one. But yes, if that's to much let me know and I will cut back.

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
Yes, you can oversoak a tortoise. Food will pass through the gut too fast for them to absorb nutrients. Are these hatchlings?
Yes. They are all hatchling. All hatched out around 18-25 of June except one who hatched out around May 18 or so. Am I soaking to much???

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Yes, a little too much :)D)...

I would not add wood substrate ...especially since they eat off the rock and pick through the substrate for smaller pieces....the wood substrate can splinter.....I think that if you wet the substrate down, let it soak up the water, then take you hand (yes, your hand will get dirty) and press down the entire surface of the substrate through the entire enclosure.....the substrate should be packed down solid to offer a firm footing for the torts legs to develop correctly....if the substrate is fluffed all over then they will not have stable footing to press against while walking about....

The torts do not mind being dirty....and remember that dirt don't hurt....even if it is in and around their eyes....I think you will need to talk yourself down a bit so you don't create a problem where there is not one....;)

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
Yes, a little too much :)D)...

I would not add wood substrate ...especially since they eat off the rock and pick through the substrate for smaller pieces....the wood substrate can splinter.....I think that if you wet the substrate down, let it soak up the water, then take you hand (yes, your hand will get dirty) and press down the entire surface of the substrate through the entire enclosure.....the substrate should be packed down solid to offer a firm footing for the torts legs to develop correctly....if the substrate is fluffed all over then they will not have stable footing to press against while walking about....

The torts do not mind being dirty....and remember that dirt don't hurt....even if it is in and around their eyes....I think you will need to talk yourself down a bit so you don't create a problem where there is not one....;)
I soak it down every morning while they take their morning soak and I keep it packed down, and yes, I have to talk myself down daily. I will do what's best for them so if the Eco earth alone is best, I will leave well enough alone. Thanks!

Shakudo

5 Year Member
The Netherlands
Coco fiber is digestible:)
You could top it of with some cruder coco fiber, but I wouldn't worry too much about it, seems like normal tort fun:)

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I personally am not crazy about it either. I have two boxies. One boxie has coco fibre mixed with sphagnum moss in her enclosure. The other boxie has peat moss mixed with fine mulch in hers. I much prefer the peat moss mixture.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Ok my secret is out, I have OCD about things being clean, neat and organized. Now I know they are going to get dirty, that's what they do and I am cool w this, I have that under control. it's the part where it's all over everything. I also worry, about everything, I worry about them eating it, they prefer their food on a rock so of course it gets spread out all over the place and then they just nibble as they walk around, getting pieces of it w their food and when they dig it's all over their eyes, will that hurt their eyes? I soak them 3-4 times a day so they get cleaned up frequently but they will have it right back in their eyes as soon as I put them back in there. And then I also worry that maybe I have it to wet, maybe there needs to b a dry layer over top all that wet "dirt". ?? Shoot, I don't know. And yes, when they eat they have little pieces of stuff all over their faces and if I see it I get it off, just how I am. They don't seem to mind me cleaning them up tho.
It really is ok to be an OCD tort Mommy. :) The coco coir will not hurt them and rarely causes impaction when digested. Their water will never stay clean no matter what you do. If they do not track dirt into it they will poop in it.

wiccan_chicken

5 Year Member
Georgia
It really is ok to be an OCD tort Mommy. :) The coco coir will not hurt them and rarely causes impaction when digested. Their water will never stay clean no matter what you do. If they do not track dirt into it they will poop in it.
Or in the case of my little box turtle yearling, she likes to watch me change her water, and when it's nice and sparkly clean, no lie she digs around and RUNS for her water. Murky water equals happy Spook. Then she takes a nice big poop in the water. Rinse and repeat! There is no room for me to have OCD with her XD

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I have one of the Redfoot torts that is completely unruly, it is fantastic...anytime I reach near the water dish to dump the slop mud and water mix out of it...he literally lifts on all fours and rushes towards my hand, and at the last moment he sucks in his head and rams his whole shell against my hand and then lifts the back and plants his back feet and it is on....he against that thing that attacks his water...lol...I love it...:rolleyes: