Eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

yoda3106

5 Year Member
Does everybody's torts eat twice a day? Ours don't, they feed in the morning then in the evening if I try, they just don't bother and go snuggle up for the night!

And what weight should they be at roughly?? There Greeks and ones about 2 I'm guessing and the others is 1 and half!! And they weigh 5oz and 4oz

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I only feed my babies once a day.

sportychick

5 Year Member
My tort eats twice, however his.morning feed is approximately his shell size feed and the afteenoonish feed is like a snack few leaves. Don't know if its because he is small or maybe growing who knows but he loves to eat and look for food :D

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
When indoors I feed my babies once a day, adults every other day always in the morning. The food is available to them all day long. Hay is available 24/7. When outdoors all of them are fed about every 2-3 days with dried weeds and naturally growing plants available to them 24/7.

sportychick

5 Year Member
Am I the only one who feeds an indoor tort twice a day?? Should I stop and make it.once a day in the.mornings?Just when he is looking for food in the afternooish/supper time I give him a little. But I don't want to over feed...

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
I have tons of live growth always available for them to graze upon. Mazuri and other rich stuff is only used when I am keeping them inside for the colder months. I will also throw vegetables into their yard if any become unfit for a meal with company.

yoda3106

5 Year Member
Baoh said:
I have tons of live growth always available for them to graze upon. Mazuri and other rich stuff is only used when I am keeping them inside for the colder months. I will also throw vegetables into their yard if any become unfit for a meal with company.

Veg like what? :)

sportychick

5 Year Member
Yes please do tell :D
And as I mentioned his main morning feed is about size of shell which is something I have read. And afternoonish is less. Sometimes he doesn't even bother with it

*Barracuda_50*

5 Year Member
Harrietta, MI
:) Our babies have fresh greens, weeds, clovers and such available 24-7 and then Mazuri and other things 3 times a week. Tikii wont touch or go near the Mazuri and is a very picky slow eater :( but Javari is a piggy when it comes to the Mazuri and all foods offerd.:p

yoda3106

5 Year Member
*Barracuda_50* said:
:) Our babies have fresh greens, weeds, clovers and such available 24-7 and then Mazuri and other things 3 times a week. Tikii wont touch or go near the Mazuri and is a very picky slow eater :( but Javari is a piggy when it comes to the Mazuri and all foods offerd.:p

Ha ours can be piggys lol but in the heat, they don't seem to bother till about 4pm lol what's this mazuri?

froggy

5 Year Member
It's like Komodo it's a supplement food I use komodo :-D

yoda3106

5 Year Member
froggy said:
It's like Komodo it's a supplement food I use komodo :-D

I've tried our with similar, they don't seem to bother with it!! Lol

LeaderLeprechaun

5 Year Member
Mississippi
when i first got my baby i fed him 2 times a day but now i feed him once and leave his food so if he gets hungry he can go back for it

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
yoda3106 said:
Baoh said:

Veg like what? :)

Nothing special. Lettuces, escarole, endive, squashes, carrots, and fruit that is very bruised or near the limit for ripeness for us to eat.

ErikaO

5 Year Member
I know it has been asked before, but can a tortoise be over fed? We were feeding our 4 yr old female Rt once early morning and once in the early evening (she would be glad to also have in-between eatings). Now that it has been warming up outside, she also eats the weeds in her pen. Should we discontinue her evening feeds on the days she goes outside? Her indoor diet is shell size portion of mixed greens (she refuses mazurri) in the AM and a smaller portion of the same in the PM.

sportychick

5 Year Member
I'll leave it for the experts but I fed twice a day also shell size in the am and little small snack in the afternoon/pm but I have heard they can be over fed.
Specially with lack of exercise

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Over/underfeeding is relative to activity level and metabolic demands.

Status
Not open for further replies.