Eastern Hermann

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boca

5 Year Member
Can someone help my out, I'm afraid I'm not taking good care of him because everyone says the night temp needs to be 60-65 but I can't get it that low. He is living inside. Is there any way to get the temperate that low without lowering my whole houses temp?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Boca:

You'll need to tell us a bit more about your tortoise before we can give you a good answer.

How big/old is it?

What kind of habitat is it in?

How long have you had it?

I think what you're interpreting might be someone telling you that the tortoise can withstand temps that low at night...not necessarily that they need to be that low. Usually room temperature is fine for a bigger tortoise.

Boca

5 Year Member
Just got him today, two weeks old. I built him his own table 6ft by 4ft. He's about 2 inches.

Laurie

5 Year Member
Saratoga County, New York
He'll be fine at room temps overnight. You want a drop in temperature from your daytime temps, which you have. As long as your house isn't staying eighty degrees at night you're good.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They have summertime where Eastern Hermanns come from too. :)

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Boca said:
Can someone help my out, I'm afraid I'm not taking good care of him because everyone says the night temp needs to be 60-65 but I can't get it that low. He is living inside. Is there any way to get the temperate that low without lowering my whole houses temp?

Consistent night time temperatures of near 65 degrees or warmer is too warm. 55-60 is better. Cooler than that is fine too. Temperate climate Testudo species do better with a 15-20 degree temperature gradient from day to night. It causes them to create a more normal routine and to be more active during the daytime.
Air conditioning is an option to cool the room but A/C also dries the air as it cools it so the humidity level has to be monitored and adjusted as necessary to keep the ambient humidity level within 50-75%, ideally the mid 60's.

Status
Not open for further replies.