durra cotta vs terra cotta

Heather H

Location (City and/or State)
N.E. ohio
What is better, safer...durra cotta or terra cotta. Looking to plant some small post of plants in Tuxy's enclosure. Looking to do about 5 or 6. Also what are the favorites for your Russians? Thanks a bunch guys. :)

Iochroma

5 Year Member
San Francisco
I think the rough texture of real terra cotta gives their claws better traction. For a while I was using glazed saucers, but realized they didn't make it easy for them to get out of the water.
If you buy two or three, you can always have one washed and dried and ready to switch out when the inevitable poop soup happens.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
In my Russian enclosure I have spider plants, Jade, Pothos, and dracaena. You can also plant herbs and plants. is the plan for the tortoise to actually eat the plants or just mostly to look nice?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have no experience with dura cotta, but I just looked it up. Seems like it could work, but it has a taller lip than the terra cotta stuff.

I've been using terra cotta for many years, and it has served me perfectly. Just don't drop it...

Iochroma

5 Year Member
San Francisco
Oops, read that OP too fast...
I thought the question was about a water saucer.
For plants, it makes no difference to the plant's growth and health which material the pot is made from ( plastic vs. terra cotta ). Plastic would stay a little cleaner and be easier to clean if it got food or crap on it.

Plant-wise: "pothos" is a favorite; "dwarf schefflera" is good with sufficient light, and "money tree" is great.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I use plastic plant pots in my enclosure. I guess terra-cotta might be heavier and harder for the Russian tortoise to knock over though. Russians have a way of destroying things :) For food and water bowls I have both plastic and terra-cotta.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
With a choice of these tweo, I would prefer the terra myself. Reasons:
-heavier weight, more likely to not get dumped.
-porous, so if it can leech excess moisture into the substrate easier (of course, if you use chemical in the dirt (a no no) that could also become a bad factor.
- usually a more natural color, so would blend in better (of course color can be a great thing for visual appeal)

Overall, not much difference. Is there a price difference?

Heather H

N.E. ohio
With a choice of these tweo, I would prefer the terra myself. Reasons:
-heavier weight, more likely to not get dumped.
-porous, so if it can leech excess moisture into the substrate easier (of course, if you use chemical in the dirt (a no no) that could also become a bad factor.
- usually a more natural color, so would blend in better (of course color can be a great thing for visual appeal)

Overall, not much difference. Is there a price difference?
thank you I am going to do terra cotta. I dont know price difference. I am going to use a top soil. nothing with the little balls or chemicals.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I look forward to seeing what you end up with. :)