DT Seed Mix?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smc

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Tucson, AZ
I planted/"sowed" a quarter pound of desert mix in the tortoise yard over a month ago. Got it from turtlestuff.com. Mixed it with potting mix according to the directions, spread it and watered. Then we had a couple of good rain storms. Left it alone until I watered a little yesterday. Haven't seen anything sprout yet. I'm a brown thumb when it comes to gardening, but I'm learning. Weeds shouldn't be so hard. For some reason, even weeds won't grow since last grazing season. Am I doing something wrong? This is a South yard that gets full sun most of the day. The good news is that the prickly pears that the box turtle got in fights with are coming back! (I think Leonardo got mad that there was no yummy fruit)

Pebble is awake and will be hungry soon. I hate gambling with the produce section and the prices are getting outrageous! My garden produced 2 baby bunnies, but I did get some squash for myself.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
I just planted some of that same seed yesterday. I'll let you know how mine grows. Have you tried growing some bird seed? Pretty easy as long as the birds don't find it! :p

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I live in the desert too and I can't get any weeds or any of those "tortoise mixes" to grow either. Fortunately I have some good local weeds that grow naturally and I just cultivate those and try to keep them going.

smc

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
Twice in over a month is overwatering? :)

This yard was a weed bed until Pebble took care of that. Bird seed, forgot about that. Got lots of doves and pigeons...maybe that's the problem?

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
From the description at turtlestuff.com, it says it needs "winter dormancy" (stratification) so that might have something to do with it.

expiredgummiworm

5 Year Member
Miami, Fl, US
smc said:
Twice in over a month is overwatering? :)

you said there were a couple of storms. It probly drowned them.
and if its 'desert mix' they probly dont need much water. any plant will not sprout if it is over watered/drowned

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm thinking the rain washed the seeds away.

smc

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
I basically just sprayed the soil to get it damp. How do the wild seeds sprout without rain? Weeds showed up in the other yards after it rained...I'm confused. And I thought the seed mix was ready-to-plant. Maybe I should have put them in the fridge for a while?

I see some seeds are still there; rain didn't wash them away.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Different seeds sprout at different times. They depend upon the soil reaching a certain temperature. For example, Bermuda grass seed won't sprout until the soil is consistently 50 degrees.

smc

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
I'll have to take Pebble on a walk around the neighborhood. :D

The mallows grow everywhere along the streets in the warehouse district for some reason, but the ones in the desert either disappear quickly, or are too hard to uproot.

Status
Not open for further replies.