"Double Nester Sunday"

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Nice going! Nice that you can capture the process and post here. Maybe a video of what you do next, how to uncover, move, record, placing the eggs in your incubator. Thanks for sharing.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
do you ever just leave nest in the ground?
David no .....I always try and incubate them for several reasons , one being what YT said .....too many critters around to dig them up for chow time....as well as I prefer a much more controlled atmosphere. Although .......I was asked a few days back if I have ever missed any nests....my answer was over the last 10 years , I have got probably 99% of them ( that I know of ) ....but something special did happen a few days back ..
As many of the experienced breeders know and some current threads about incubation times....I myself fall victim and learn too. I usually will let the eggs go no more than 200 days as #1 I don't want them to explode (nothing worse than a fermented tortoise egg smell and mess) and 2# poor judgment on my part ...thinking the egg is bunk and nothing is in there. Well my friend ....what I do is go and bury the eggs outside in my veggie garden ( for fertilizer) . The garden itself is an above ground box type approx.: 8'x8' made out of 2x12. The soil level itself sits down around 6" below top rim of box. Well ....watering the garden the other day -something caught my eye .....low and behold a baby Cherry was cruising around and munching on weeds. He was in excellent shape and yolk sac completely healed ...so he has been in there for at least 2 weeks . I was shocked and elated at the same time . So he was a partial ground hatch baby ....:rolleyes:

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
David no .....I always try and incubate them for several reasons , one being what YT said .....too many critters around to dig them up for chow time....as well as I prefer a much more controlled atmosphere. Although .......I was asked a few days back if I have ever missed any nests....my answer was over the last 10 years , I have got probably 99% of them ( that I know of ) ....but something special did happen a few days back ..
As many of the experienced breeders know and some current threads about incubation times....I myself fall victim and learn too. I usually will let the eggs go no more than 200 days as #1 I don't want them to explode (nothing worse than a fermented tortoise egg smell and mess) and 2# poor judgment on my part ...thinking the egg is bunk and nothing is in there. Well my friend ....what I do is go and bury the eggs outside in my veggie garden ( for fertilizer) . The garden itself is an above ground box type approx.: 8'x8' made out of 2x12. The soil level itself sits down around 6" below top rim of box. Well ....watering the garden the other day -something caught my eye .....low and behold a baby Cherry was cruising around and munching on weeds. He was in excellent shape and yolk sac completely healed ...so he has been in there for at least 2 weeks . I was shocked and elated at the same time . So he was a partial ground hatch baby ....:rolleyes:

that's awesome! if they do come out of the ground does it change anything? like darker markings or such?

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
that's awesome! if they do come out of the ground does it change anything? like darker markings or such?
No .... and night time temps , no water soakings ...no food (except All Natural') ....pure out of ground hatch and alive for at least 2 weeks - AMAZING! and just mind blowing for me , compared to how I baby the new born that are in a controlled hatch. I can however tell which mom it came from ...by the markings and coloring on carapace .

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
No .... and night time temps , no water soakings ...no food (except All Natural') ....pure out of ground hatch and alive for at least 2 weeks - AMAZING! and just mind blowing for me , compared to how I baby the new born that are in a controlled hatch. I can however tell which mom it came from ...by the markings and coloring on carapace .
If I keep the eggs in the ground next time she lays would there be a bigger chance of them hatching?

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
If I keep the eggs in the ground next time she lays would there be a bigger chance of them hatching?
Depending on where you live ....I have never Bred Russians ....although plenty of Sullie's ....But from your ID location - N. Cal would not be my first choice ... I would rather incubate them artificially ...there are plenty of folks who have great success with natural ground hatched babies. But live in climates that make it possible and or limiting the time frame of when it can take place.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
This is a great thread! Good questions and answers!
These mother's are very busy little ladies.
The story of the egg's that you place in the garden and the Cherry that you found, is awesome!
Nice work my friend :)