Dogs and Salmonella

Status
Not open for further replies.

MonaSydly

5 Year Member
As I've mentioned recently, I am trying to convince my father to let me get a tortoise, but now he is worried about our dog getting salmonella from it. Is this possible? I thought it was only spread internally, but I'm not 100% sure.
*Please not I would NEVER leave the two together under ANY circumstances. This is purely a question my dad wanted me to ask just to be sure. The dog we have is a Shihpoo, so she is very small, and her immune system is not very strong, so my dad wanted to be sure that there wasn't too big of a problem with salmonella.

Thanks for your feedback!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
To relieve the worry, wash your hands after you have handled your tort. Also, never let the dog near the tort. The two doesn't mix anyway. That said, I doubt the dog could get it from the tort. However, I don't really know for sure, as we can. So, just be on the cautious side of it and wash. You can actually get it easier from raw chicken then a tort anyway.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
I would imagine if the tortoise and dog met, it could happen, but I have never heard of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.