Dog almost swallowed sulcata

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcoolguy68

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Okay so yesterday I took out my sulcatas with my 2 boxers yesterday and they didnt do anything to the sulcatas. I did the same thing today and they tried to swallow them so I immediately smacked their mouths to drop the tortoises and I soaked them in warm water to wash off the saliva from their dogs... It took them a few minutes to come out of their shell but soon enough they were out and about walking outside again(w/ dogs in the side gate) carrying on like they normally would. I inspected their entire body and found no teeth marks, blood, cracked shells, or anything physical. But their shells did seem a little soft, but I never really checked how hard their shells were before the incident, is it something I should worry about? The tortoises are about 4-6 months old and their 2 1/2" long. I feel really bad for them. Is dog saliva dangerous to their health as well? I can't afford a vet.

RTfanatic

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
College Station, TX
A little soft at that age is not a concern. A LOT soft would be. But make sure you are giving them calcium periodically to thicken up their carapace.

dcoolguy68

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
A lot soft like how soft? Like soft enough to leave a finger print on?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
NEVER trust you beloved dogs with tortoises.. Too many horror stories..And if you cant afford a Vet, then even more reason to prevent and don't even take a chance.
At that size and age, they really need outside Sun time, but never left alone or turn your back or a real secure enclosure with a secure lid that cant be opened by critters. But it also must still be able to let in the sun. Wire top that is secure enough to keep dogs out, but still lets sun in. Or a completely seperate yard from the dogs. Always.
We are human, we make mistakes, it is easy to get distracted and turn our backs for one second that turns into minutes..or even longer...prevention is the key.
Dog saliva is full of bacteria. If no open wounds they should be ok. but shell softness is a concern. How soft? Does it just give a little when you press on it ir is it squishy? what type of calcium do you give? Do they eat it? How much sun?

dcoolguy68

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Well they didn't do anything the first time I took them outside with the dogs, but idk why they tried to eat them the second time. It gives a little if I press on it other than that it feels hard when I just touch it...

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
dcoolguuy68, Dogs are the cause of many injured and dead torts. I have two dogs, small ones that seem to not have a problem with the torts. Then I caught my Pomeranian with a hatchling, giving it an indepth tongue bath. What a shock. He had never been interested in them before. But all it took was once. Now the torts are kept under lock and key. No more close calls. To dogs small torts seem to be play things and once is all it takes to lose or severely injure your torts. Please take care and take this as a warning for the future.
Young hatchlings will often be somewhat soft when squeezed. Not being able to feel them makes it somewhat hard to describe. If their shells are not squishy-pretty soft or leave an indent when you feel them, they should be OK with proper sun, or MVB lighting and calcium supplements.

dcoolguy68

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Yeah I know that, but I was hoping to train my dogs like the lady I bought the torts from, she said her dogs never tried to eat her tort families.

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi...Haven't you heard...you should never say never! I have 2 box turtles that dogs injured so badly that they each have only one eye. I have rehabbed many that didn't make it cause of dog bites. Just like a small child, dogs can't always be trusted not to change moods and do something they never did before. It is possible that your dog might eventually settle in with the tort, but why take a chance when there are other options?
Good luck
Patsy

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
183-1-1.jpg
This was from a 10# "trained" Chinese Crested. He is fine a year later but scarred. Dogs are not allowed in tort room and enclosures are tightly covered.

dcoolguy68

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
oh wow i see what happened to his shell, well its a good thing that my hatchlings will stay small for a while giving my sister time to take her dogs when she finally gets her own house... I leave them out there with one dog and he protects them lol, the other 2(girls) are the problem so I just lock them up. But i'm glad your tort is doing fine

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
dcoolguy68 said:
I leave them out there with one dog and he protects them lol,

I've told this story before, but it bears repeating: There was this older couple who got a very young desert tortoise. The tortoise had the run of the back yard. After they had the tortoise for a while, they got a labrador pup. The pup and the tortoise shared the backyard for around 15 years with no problem. Seems to me I remember they said the tortoise sometimes slept in the dog's bed with the dog.

A couple years ago, the couple went on vacation leaving their grown son to take care of the animals. When they came back they found that the dog had chewed off a front leg of the tortoise.

For fifteen years these two animals lived in harmony together and then for some unknown reason, the dog decided the tortoise would make a good chew toy. You just can't trust dogs around tortoises.

Yvonne

Status
Not open for further replies.