Sulcata eating dog poops...

kevinwestlife

5 Year Member
Fellow members,
I've read from a book that Sulcatas tend to eat dog poops when they see it, and therefore I've been very cautious every time I take my Sulcata out for a walk.

Unfortunately I was still not cautious enough yesterday and I think he took a few bites before I was able to stop him.

Can anybody please let me know if there's anything I can do to determine if my sulcata's still alright? Like a test or sth?

Thanks very much

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
The mai problem from that is heartworm medicine in it.

parrotlady

5 Year Member
Don't panic, your sulcata will be ok. You don't need to have any tests done. I know it is gross, but it happens.

M

Maggie Cummings

If a dog has been treated with Ivermectin for parasites and any tortoise eats it, it could be bad news. While my Vet and I (and other tort keepers) have used Panacur to rid tortoises of parasites, Ivermectin eaten in dog poop can kill a tortoise. So in my personal opinion, I would not allow my Sulcata to eat dog or cat poop. Period

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Just do your best to pic it up before you bring him out. It's not the poop you have to worry about, it's the drugs that the dog that pooped it may be on. Like dmmj mentioned, heartworm or other worm medicines.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
My babies ate an entire um... poop once and they were ok. Our dogs are treated but I guess it had been a long enough time between treatments. Keep an eye on him for any different behaviors for the next day or two. Eating poop is normal by the way...erm...for tortoises.