Does this shell make my butt look big?

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fargo, ND
Well, another day, another new random concern! :rolleyes: For those who don't know, Littlefoot is my 3 month old Eastern Hermann's...I've had him about 1.5 weeks so far...and I'm worried he might be getting to be a bit of a chunk.

How much should I be feeding him each day? I tend to give him a lot, and he never finishes it, but I was thinking I'd rather he get enough to eat than too little...but will he stop when he's full? Looking at him today, I feel like he might be starting to get a bit chubby. He looks...puffy. Like the skin in his shell, where his legs come out...it looks...full. I don't know. I'll attach pics. Maybe I'm crazy.

I'm attaching a picture where he's on his plate with food. He gets around that amount usually. I usually pick about 5-7 pieces of spring mix, and then add something different (1-2 things) in each day. Last week he had dandelion and pumpkin, plus Mazuri and Repashy Grassland Grazer. We tried tomato and cucumber for treats but he didn't give a crap about them. :p This week, he has kale instead of dandelion. So today he got 6 pieces of spring mix, 2 small chunks of kale, and 5 moistened mazuri pellets mashed up with a tablespoon of pumpkin (he won't eat it plain yet). His vitamins are mashed in with the Mazuri (Thursday and Sunday are vitamin day). Tomorrow he'll probably get spring mix with Repashy as a "dressing", and each day is a bit different. Hopefully that explains my feeding process. :) He also has pansies to nibble on in the enclosure, and he's eaten a flower here and there, but he likes to hide in them more than eat them.

So my questions are:
How much should I be feeding him, and am I giving him too much?
Is he starting to become overweight?

He's been pooping well in his soaks (he gets them 2x daily and usually poops at least once each time...sometimes more), and stays very hydrated. His enclosure is kept humid, and he sleeps a lot and explores a lot, and generally seems to be a healthy, happy tort. :tort: I might just be a paranoid new mommy. :rolleyes:

Thanks guys! :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Not too chunky at all. Love the thread title btw:D. I always feed once a day. A big handful that will last the day and even a little left over. Don't forget, a tortoise in the wild would graze most of the day. To help get you tort to move more, don't feed on one dish. Use several and plant the food in different areas of the enclosure so he has to walk around to find it.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Looks good to me . Remember tortoise will graze for hours . So let them do what they do . Just remove old food every day .

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
You are crazy, he is fine :p

I have never restricted food.
Yours has a good diet variety and good space to roam (tort version of hitting the gym) so keep doing what you are doing :)

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
You crack me up!! A big butt? I would feed him exactly as suggested above and not think about his little butt [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES][SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Mantissa3

10 Year Member!
San Francisco Bay Area
Can someone please tell me their experiences about this? I have a baby redfoot, Gibby. When I first got him, I'll bet he was younger than 4 months. Now he's a little less than a year old- I'm guessing he hatched around Feb-Mar of this year...

So, now that he's nearly tripled in size, he eats less at one sitting. When I first got him, he would eat and eat until he was almost glassy-eyed, which may have been simply because he was in a really bad situation when I got him- not enough food or hydration. Now I would say he eats moderately, twice per day, and I can also see where he will nibble a Mazuri pellet, some chunks of veggies or some greens during the day. But- he hasn't been eating more, proportional to his growth and size.

Is this normal? Is his "tank" just bigger now so he's topping off, rather than completely emptying and filling as when he was a little hatchling?

Thanks,
Karen and Gibby the Magnificent