Does high nitrite content in water affect turtles?

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
OK So if this is indeed a thread about the title's question, I will jump in now, as I was reluctant to before. Terry doesn't like technical, but don't know how you can answer that question without it. But I do think the question is a great one and basic to creating an aquatic environment.

I find the title and question misleading to people. Nitrite should be a very temporary and soon eliminated chemical in an aquatic environment. In setting up an aquatic habitat, there is a cycle you go through to get it "established" with natural beneficial bacteria to balance a healthy system. That is the Ammonia - Nitrite - Nitrate cycle. If you have detectable ammonia or nitrite in your pond or aquarium, you have a problem and the filter is not working properly, or not yet established. Biological waste produces ammonia which then some bacteria converts to nitrite. Other bacteria then come into play and convert the nitrite into inert nitrate. The first two - Ammonia and nitrite - is extremely toxic to fish. Turtles are pretty much unaffected EXCEPT if you have Ammonia and/or Nitrite you have an unhealthy water situation where bad bacteria will readily grow. (this can include salmonella and many others) This can lead to skin, shell, eye irritations and infections.

If your filter is working and good colonies of the good bacteria are established, the ammonia is almost immediately converted to nitrite and then the nitrite to nitrate. The Ammonia and Nitrite readings in my pond and aquariums is 0.0 The NITRATE should be the question here. It is harmless to fish and other life unless it reaches extremely high levels. But... It does continue to build up over time and the only way it is reduced is through water changes or live plants that consume the nitrate as a natural fertilizer.

It takes a pretty high level of nitrate to even start affecting fish. A lot of water systems have very high nitrate levels right out of the tap. Many lakes and streams have very high levels and you see the water plants, string algae, hyacinth, etc. take over and go crazy. I don't think it would affect a turtle at all, unless, the system has such a build up of waste in stagnant areas that bad bacteria starts to take hold in those pockets.

Thank you Mark... all that is correct - and is not at all technical.. which I'm totally O.K. with. Why do you think I have all the "test-chemicals"? - to test the water DURING that balance time in my fish aquariums!

My concern was how all that related to "Brackish Water Terrapins" - ( which are cared for
totally opposite of virtually every other 'fresh water' turtle.. and the subject of my original thread ). The algae does a lot for that balance as well.. as I understand it. The down side to that is cosmetic -- how it looks! The Terrapin brackish water [ outside ] has a faint green color.. plus a separate feeding space helps also.

Any "balanced" SALT water aquarium has 'green' all over the coral, etc. - and the fish are active too!

Back to interpretation @Markw84 ? :rolleyes:

mark1

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ohio
algae kills coral , it suffocates it ..... any tank saltwater , freshwater , or brackish in balance doesn't have everything covered in algae , actually a balanced one has hardly any ....... coral reefs are areas low in nutrients ... high nitrite is a sign of poor water quality , any water , fresh , salt or brackish ......... unless diamondback terrapins do better with poor water quality , it no more benefits them , than it does any animal ........ i believe the lifespan of a dbt is more than 30yrs , how many have you raised with your method that have surpassed that ? folks that don't understand filtration and the nitrogen cycle are working harder than they need too ........ keeping turtles for your lifetime , imo , comes down to sustainability , if you can't sustain what your doing to keep your animals , you'll fail ... the easier you make it the more likely you'll succeed .....