Does anyone's family think their obsession with their Tortoise is weird?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mctlong

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SF Valley, SoCal
My family always had tortoises around when I was growing up, so my immediate family thinks my obsession is perfectly normal.

My husband, however, thinks I'm a complete weirdo. :D

TurtleTortoise

5 Year Member
Michigan
pspryu101 said:
they were laughing at me for being picky on the lettuce they eat -___- iceberg vs romaine... No they are not the same! lol

Yes! This is why my family thinks I'm weird

kjr153

5 Year Member
Well you guys made me feel better about this :) My family thinks I'm losing it. When I tell them I love my shelled baby, they just respond with "It's just a Tortoise". After I joined the forum that was just something else for them to laugh about. I will be happy to tell them I am not the only one who talks to their Tortoise. :)

morloch

5 Year Member
I talk to my tortoise . I curse at my tortoise, I see a fantastic bunch of weeds on the side of the road and pull over. I bath my tortoise. Take my tortoise for a walk. I make my tortoise a fantastic salad everyday. I'm not weird, I'm not crazy, im just obsessed with my tortoise!! If u dont like it,,, leave me alone!! Lol😃😊

srod

5 Year Member
New Orleans
Yup close family and friends think I'm crazy. They really thought I lost it when I set up an IP camera so I could monitor him whenever I wasn't home. :)
They're just a bunch of haters!

My fiance however is just as crazy as I am :)

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
At my age now they just think I am eccentric, LOL. I do worry about the neighbors hearing me talking to my tortoises outside in the backyard though. ;-)

contessa20

5 Year Member
wellington said:
They always thought I was weird when it comes to animals. So, my tort is just another weird addition to my little zoo.

Yep, this is me. :D
My husband says I feed my animals better than I feed the rest of us. He doesn't really bat an eye at my "weird" birthday/Christmas/grocery store/pet store requests anymore.

taytay3391

5 Year Member
Iowa, USA
My great grandma and grandpa had two tortoises when I was young. They were the reason I started loving them in the first place. So that side of the family understood. And my dads side is scared of her, anything "scaly" looking. And my boyfriend knew I loved torts since the day we started talking. So it was no surprise that when they were on sale and I had money that I bought one and now he loves them too! My parents joke that our first child's room will be turtle covered. Probably true.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
DesertGrandma said:
At my age now they just think I am eccentric, LOL. I do worry about the neighbors hearing me talking to my tortoises outside in the backyard though. ;-)

It's better than talking to yourself, lol.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
lynnedit said:
DesertGrandma said:

Oh, it is???? I do that too, but usually inside the house, LOL

kjr153

5 Year Member
"I see a fantastic bunch of weeds on the side of the road and pull over" LOVE IT!!!

morloch said:
I talk to my tortoise . I curse at my tortoise, I see a fantastic bunch of weeds on the side of the road and pull over. I bath my tortoise. Take my tortoise for a walk. I make my tortoise a fantastic salad everyday. I'm not weird, I'm not crazy, im just obsessed with my tortoise!! If u dont like it,,, leave me alone!! Lol😃😊

GotTort

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
My wife thought it was weird when I started taking about getting a tortoise. She was a good sport and now she loves our little Gotleib. Her aunt even asks for daily updates on her "great-nephew."
My wife says we are now less weird because we have a pet.

Char

5 Year Member
jacksonville fl
yes, at work I'm known as the crazy cat and tortoise/turtle lady even though my boss has many more then me. I just spoil mine so much.. lucky for me my hubby has grown to love my tortoises and is trying to learn pick up as much as he can from what I tell him in case anything ever happens to me he wants to be able to care for them and not re-home them. <3

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
DesertGrandma said:
lynnedit said:
DesertGrandma said:

Oh, it is???? I do that too, but usually inside the house, LOL

It only becomes a problem when you answer yourself

morloch

5 Year Member
Oh... I thought that was normal! Oh well. I like my answers better anyway!!😊

AndreaRosie

5 Year Member
Char said:
yes, at work I'm known as the crazy cat and tortoise/turtle lady even though my boss has many more then me. I just spoil mine so much.. lucky for me my hubby has grown to love my tortoises and is trying to learn pick up as much as he can from what I tell him in case anything ever happens to me he wants to be able to care for them and not re-home them. <3

That's precious.

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
Some people at work call me the Tortoise Lady. When my husband and I are driving down the street I am looking at different plants and weeds and thinking "that would be good for my tortoises to eat". When we are driving past undeveloped land and I see big rocks I say "look at those neat looking rocks they would look good in the thortoise enclosures".

My husband spoils me and has built me two big enclosures and one smaller one. We are now in the process of landscaping the big second one. He also has to still put the electrical wires around the top of the second enclosure to keep racoons out and also build a large hide. :)

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Most people don't think it's weird that I love tortoises and box turtles. Most people are also drawn to them to one degree or another, so they find my hobby interesting. My neighbors often ask me how Mork and Mindy are doing. :)

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
bigred said:
It only becomes a problem when you answer yourself

But is it OK if your tortoise answers you?

It is true, people think you are weird for having tortoises, but they are also intrigued.

Char, that is very sweet of your husband.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
No one in my own family or my birth family would ever think a love of any animal was weird. Though my parents did find it a bit odd when as a child I told them I wanted to be a turtle trainer when I grew up...lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.