Does anyone's family think their obsession with their Tortoise is weird?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjr153

5 Year Member
Does anyone's husband,wife, boyfriend, girlfriend or whom ever you live with think you are weird when it comes to your tortoise? My family thinks I am crazy because of my Tortoise.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
I'm known as "the crazy turtle lady" by just about everyone I know!

AndreaRosie

5 Year Member
My mom bought me a t shirt that says turtle whisperer. I'm the only blonde at my school with a turtle. I defy all stereotypes with my love for my babies.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They always thought I was weird when it comes to animals. So, my tort is just another weird addition to my little zoo.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
During my divorce, years ago, the judge thought it was quite odd that we fought over our sulcata, born in 1992, which was a Valentine's gift for me. My ex-husband got to keep him. Sigh. He does take good care of him, however.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
I wish this forum had "likes" like facebook...

Yes, people think I'm weird about tortoises. But they respect it. When I posted my girl's pics on facebook and said she'd one day she'd be big enough to "eat your children", over 20 people liked it. I got lots of compliments. It felt good to be acknowledged for being a tortoise parent.

Tortoise keeping is simply something that most people are not familiar with. But if given the proper knowledge, they do respect it. Everyone loves tortoises. Who could hate them? Really.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Yup! Everyone thinks I'm weird, but I don't care :) I have my boyfriend sucked into it, so I'm good :p

Life is good

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Yep,my kids,and my wife think i'm a nut. But I don't care I love my torts. I also get called a dork for being a member of a turtle forum.LOL

Minority1

5 Year Member
The minimum life expectancy of a tortoise is 30 years. That's more than any household pet so it shouldn't be surprising for anyone who knows about them. My cousin was devastated years ago when her turtle passed away. Took it pretty hard.

TurtleTortoise

5 Year Member
Michigan
Yes, I actually get quite excited about anything reptile an amphibian related. People think I'm weird because I drive for an hour and a half just to go to a reptile show, but its what I love and I can't help it :D

Minority1 said:
The minimum life expectancy of a tortoise is 30 years. That's more than any household pet so it shouldn't be surprising for anyone who knows about them. My cousin was devastated years ago when her turtle passed away. Took it pretty hard.

And yes! I love tortoises because they live so long and have great personalities. They are a lifelong pet and sometimes I'm worried who will care for them if I pass away

tortoise007

5 Year Member
Phoenix AZ aria
When I kept asking my mom and dad for a tortoise, they thought that I would lose interest after like a month, because they are such a "boring pet" :p . About nine months later and I'm even more crazy about tortoises than ever! But, yes most people think it's kinda weird... Glad I don't! :D :tort::tort: :D

immayo

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
A lot of my friends and people I work with think it's cool! They like to see my picture updates on FB and what not. It's kind of an unusual pet so it definitely gets people interested. My bf calls me crazy sometimes, although he loves our current tortoise T Rex! I think he mostly just thinks I'm crazy for wanting more and spending so much on them.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Yes. But they think it is amusing and quirky too. Always been that way, might as well stay that way...:rolleyes:

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Most of my family is just glad Im not the guy that I use to be :D They cant judge to much, most of them are so far in credit card debt they will never get out of it

AndreaRosie

5 Year Member
My mom says I have an obsession with rescuing hurt turtles. Yet she has nine houses. Whose the obsessed now? Hahaha! :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Does "anyone" think its weird?

EVERYONE thinks its weird!

BodaTort1

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
Everyone who knows thinks it is cool that I have rescued and have roaming around my backyard in various pens 11 tortoises... But they ALWAYS ask WHY tortoises? My husband and kids call me "The crazy tort lady " also but love to show them off to their friends when they come over.

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
wellington said:
They always thought I was weird when it comes to animals. So, my tort is just another weird addition to my little zoo.

Exactly!
My dad always said that I should've been Noah's daughter so that I'd have two of everything :) I love showing the skeptics that torts have personality!

pspryu101

5 Year Member
Left Coast :)
they were laughing at me for being picky on the lettuce they eat -___- iceberg vs romaine... No they are not the same! lol

Andrea M

5 Year Member
Most people do think Hokie is a weird choice of pet until they meet him, then they can't believe how interesting he is. My husband doesn't understand how I can spend so much time on this forum! Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.