Does AnyOne Know?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
I have a baby sulcataaa and hes about 3 inches long, Would anyone happen to know around the age it is?
a Couple of months, 2 or 3?

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
More than likely less than one year, post a picture for better answers.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
yes, about 2 or 3 months?

1416pw0.jpg

mu7315.jpg

dfblug.jpg

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Thank you, yes i was thinking somewhere around three months!
his looks in good shape tho?

SavannanSpike

5 Year Member
Trenton ohio
My little guy looks just like yours! :) ( i think mines a little smaller tho) I came her for all kinds of help and questions!! and they are wonderful!!!! Welcome!

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Jacob said:
Thank you, yes i was thinking somewhere around three months!
his looks in good shape tho?

He looks very happy and strong. My guess is he comes from this years hatchlings! :tort:

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Yes, when i watch him outside he seems very adventurous walking all around my yard! He even tries to go in my bushes and plants :)

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
starting to get some pyrimiding.. it can be stopped.. good husbandry and diet.. read the sulcata section.
ENJOY!!!

M

Maggie Cummings

He is starting to pyramid, I agree with Laura. You need to start keeping him more moist. Tom has a care sheet out just for raising baby Sulcata. You can find it here somewhere. I say there are 4 things needs to prevent pyramiding. A good and varied diet, lots of exercise, good strong UVB (or real sun) and about 80% humidity. So look at all those and see what you are not doing and change it. You need to do all 4 of those things and you'll need to keep him wet according to Tom. So you have to take something from each one of us and change the way you are keeping him. You might be able to stop the pyramiding now if you try really hard...but it's not easy and you must be consistent in your care. Why don't you tell us how you are keeping him and we'll help you out with a critique...:)

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
well when i bought him from the pet store they fed him only romaine lettuce and didnt have a uvb light!

now i have him in a 40 gallon tank with a reptisun 5.0 uvb light 100w heat lamp and i feed him bersuda grass tall fescue carrots and i use some diet stuff that i wet and put on his food! along with some cuttlebone!yesterday i bought some timoathy hay but he hasnt ate it ! i take him outside for about an hour a day for excersise and i let him excersise in my house if its too cold outside! he sleeps pretty heavily during the day and night! & i soak him once a day in warm water for 10-15 min

any suggestions?

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Thanks, your little guys penny and squirt i belive, are so adorable :)

firework

5 Year Member
Learned from my own experience, the compact fluorescent bulb is harmful to their eyes, especially when he is so young.

If you find him having trouble opening eyes, changing to a MVB will be the solution.

Jacob said:
well when i bought him from the pet store they fed him only romaine lettuce and didnt have a uvb light!

now i have him in a 40 gallon tank with a reptisun 5.0 uvb light 100w heat lamp and i feed him bersuda grass tall fescue carrots and i use some diet stuff that i wet and put on his food! along with some cuttlebone!yesterday i bought some timoathy hay but he hasnt ate it ! i take him outside for about an hour a day for excersise and i let him excersise in my house if its too cold outside! he sleeps pretty heavily during the day and night! & i soak him once a day in warm water for 10-15 min

any suggestions?

M

Maggie Cummings

Jacob said:

any suggestions?

If you are using a coil bulb you should turn it off right now. The coil bulbs cause eye damage in tortoises. Several newbie's have come on with a small Sulcata who has stopped eating or is lethargic and it's the coil bulb. I had a yearling who was blinded by a 5.0 compact bulb and that's exactly what you are using.

Babies don't eat hay. He'll have to be a few years older before he'll eat hay. Get some Spring Mix from the produce section and add your good stuff to eat and he'll eat just fine. But seriously get rid of that bulb...Send it to Balboa...

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
he looks thin.. do you have a scale you can weigh him on?

Have you tried Mazuri?
Also, walking around the floor in your house can be too cold. They can also find bad things on the floor to eat.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
no, i do not have a scale to weigh him on!
this is the light i have its not a coil bulb its the newer upgraded one, its a litttle diferent
2ufwzk6.jpg

is it still bad for him?

Status
Not open for further replies.