Do tortoises...?

EmilyandPopcorn

Location (City and/or State)
England
...make good pets?

Hello I'm new here and also new to tortoises. I am currently saving up for a horsefield that I will be able to afford in august yay! I am getting a lot of people (friends,family) asking me why I want a tortoise then just answering for me saying "they're stupid" or "they're boring" and it's really upsetting me! I just want to know,do tortoises make good pets? Like could I handle him a lot? Do they show personality/affection? Thank you all <3

Last edited by a moderator:

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
Yes- they're wonderful pets, Sometimes, you can handle them, but its more fun to watch them, Personality yes, affection no.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I also think that tortoises make great pets. I have had my Russian tortoise for over a year now. It took him a couple weeks to warm up to me but eventually he did start eating out of my hand and responding to my voice and actually coming to me when I talk to him. I know this is because he thinks of me as the food God but that's okay. No, they are not like dogs or cats. A lot of the fun is setting up the proper habitat for them, both indoor and outdoor in my case because of the weather around here. My friends also… Don't understand why i wanted a tortoise but they do admit that he is "kind of cute" and he is interesting to watch. Don't worry about what your friends say, everybody is attracted to different kinds of animals for different reasons. You have found a great resource in TFO.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Ditto. And as far as your friends and family, well, just tell them the smart people know why a tortoise is a great pet to have. Your not alone, we all understand the passion, so just stick with us if they can't get it. Most of us have the same questions asked to us. I'm an adult, so sometimes I'm not so nice about it. If I'm correct your still a minor so show the respect and shut them up nicely.:D

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
If you're looking for a pet that will come and lick your face, or sleep on your pillow at night, this isn't the right pet.
They're a bit more solitary.

kezilulu

They are solitary creatures however they will get used to your voice tone and the fact that you feed them so the first time they come running over to "see" you or eat out of your hand or (my personal favourite) stay still for a head rub is still as awesome as when a different animal does those things. I talk to my tortoise like he's having a conversation back with me when I'm in the same room as him lol
xCx

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I think they make great pets because:
They are beautiful to look at
Help me relax as I watch them peacefully grazing
Remind me to be patient
They don't bark
They don't smell
They don't get fleas
I don't have to clean a litterbox
They are practically free to feed (when you grow your own foods)
You don't have to take them on walks or socialize them at a turtle park
I can leave the house and not worry about returning home after a few hours for a potty break
They don't need regular vet visits
....these are some things off the top of my mind. They might not be applicable for everyone but they apply to me and are just some of the reasons why I love having tortoises as pets! :)

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Emily I read your intro. And replyed. But this looks like more fun . I have 2 kids well over 25 they live 2500 miles away and I try to see them once a year . But I have 8 different types of torts 2 types of box turtles , and 11 different water turtles . And the torts give more hugs then my 2 grown kids .but help me have some fun tell your mom you want a snake not just any snake a real big one and sit back and watch her try to talk you in to a tort :)

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Sierra Vista, AZ
Turtles/tortoises are so peaceful, they are like living, breathing, moving zen gardens. They definitely have their own personalities, and it is really neat to observe them to see those personalities surface.

I think there is a lot we can learn from them, to move slower, find joy in the simplest thing as a strawberry or warm soak, do your own thing and never let a minor obstacle get your way. Probably why they live to be a hundred years!

But that's just my feelings, as unscientific and silly as they may be.. lol.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Emily, why DO you want a tortoise? They don't care if you are alive or dead, as long as someone gives them food and clean water. They don't "like" you, although some of the greedier ones recognize you as the chick with the food, so they might come a runnin'. I think some of them ARE somewhat stupid, depending on how one measures or assesses intelligence, and whether or not they are "boring" depends entirely upon the opinion of whoever says it. I think they are boring compared to a lively Rat terrier or something like that.

So again, why do YOU want an unaffectionate, potentially boring pet that will cost you money, will take up a lot of space, require a lot of time to care for, and generally add hassles to your life?

hdeaver1

I love watching my tortoise and see him grow! Mine is small right now and I can let it crawl on my lap and he will poke his head out to say hello. Not friendly like a dog, but I am definitely in love!

Dorrie Siu

littleginsu said:
Turtles/tortoises are so peaceful, they are like living, breathing, moving zen gardens. They definitely have their own personalities, and it is really neat to observe them to see those personalities surface.

I think there is a lot we can learn from them, to move slower, find joy in the simplest thing as a strawberry or warm soak, do your own thing and never let a minor obstacle get your way. Probably why they live to be a hundred years!

This is exactly how I feel about my Dorrie. In addition to this, I might add that I do handle her A LOT. I DO take her out to the side walk for walks around the cul de sac (this keeps her claws trimmed). I do talk to her, and she looks up to me. When we are on our walk and she stops, I tell her "Walk, Dorrie" and she goes. I tell her "turn right, Dorrie" as I block her from turning left and she is learning what "turn right Dorrie" means, for she does it every once in a while without me blocking her.

After her daily bath, I put her in her blanket on my lap and I rub her shell, her legs, her arms and her head/neck. She ends up falling asleep.

Personality? Reaction to human mom? I think so. Call me crazy but maybe I read into Dorries responses too much.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
they are awesome, but not really something you take out and play with.. most wont enjoy that, and it can be detrimental if dropped.. or they wander off, or...

kezilulu

Dorrie Siu said:
littleginsu said:

This is exactly how I feel about my Dorrie. In addition to this, I might add that I do handle her A LOT. I DO take her out to the side walk for walks around the cul de sac (this keeps her claws trimmed). I do talk to her, and she looks up to me. When we are on our walk and she stops, I tell her "Walk, Dorrie" and she goes. I tell her "turn right, Dorrie" as I block her from turning left and she is learning what "turn right Dorrie" means, for she does it every once in a while without me blocking her.

After her daily bath, I put her in her blanket on my lap and I rub her shell, her legs, her arms and her head/neck. She ends up falling asleep.

Personality? Reaction to human mom? I think so. Call me crazy but maybe I read into Dorries responses too much.

Awwwww I LOVE the sound of Dorrie no wonder you love her!
I talk to Sheldon too and handle him probably more than is "recommended" but in return he humours me by playing climbing games over my hands, let's me get some head and neck rubs in and gets excited to see me (I don't care if this is just because he thinks I'll feed him he's too darn cute when he stretches up to say hello lol)
xXx

RainsOn

5 Year Member
NE OK
I'm new at this tortoise stuff. Only have one, Digger, but I am in love.
With Indian blood, turtles/tortoises are special and I relate my personality to them: tenacious, deliberate, intelligent - old.
I have had Digger less than two weeks and have several stories to tell about "making contact" and how he reacts to me.
Since he is temporarily in a terrarium, I have to handle him to take him outside a couple times each day.
I think the more you pay attention and work with him, the more he will respond. You can have a fascinating creature to observe and care for or you can have a unique creature that actually is aware you exist. o_O

Flipper

MO, USA
If you're looking for a pet that will come and lick your face, or sleep on your pillow at night, this isn't the right pet.
They're a bit more solitary.
This is true, but it's very fun to fuss over there habitat and they are so fun to watch :D my Hermann's tortoise cracks me up just about daily, but affection is limited :)

However, my little Tallula does enjoy a gentle head rub :heart:

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
YES. Yes they do. MIne isn't so much for the petting/cuddling but he has an AMAZING personality and I love him so much! It is also great because they can potentially live for a VERY long time... I read on TFO something someone said that a tortoise is like a kid who just won't move out!
Come back when you get him!

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I also think that tortoises make great pets. I have had my Russian tortoise for over a year now. It took him a couple weeks to warm up to me but eventually he did start eating out of my hand and responding to my voice and actually coming to me when I talk to him. I know this is because he thinks of me as the food God but that's okay. No, they are not like dogs or cats. A lot of the fun is setting up the proper habitat for them, both indoor and outdoor in my case because of the weather around here. My friends also… Don't understand why i wanted a tortoise but they do admit that he is "kind of cute" and he is interesting to watch. Don't worry about what your friends say, everybody is attracted to different kinds of animals for different reasons. You have found a great resource in TFO.
:D LOL! they are most definitely (more than) kind of cute!!!

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
...make good pets?

Hello I'm new here and also new to tortoises. I am currently saving up for a horsefield that I will be able to afford in august yay! I am getting a lot of people (friends,family) asking me why I want a tortoise then just answering for me saying "they're stupid" or "they're boring" and it's really upsetting me! I just want to know,do tortoises make good pets? Like could I handle him a lot? Do they show personality/affection? Thank you all <3
In the way you put it here and as an answer to the questions you asked, then no, they do not make good pets in that sense. While they each have their own personalities, they do not often respond well to being handled and they do not show signs of affection. They make awesome "pets" for many many other reasons. If you want to explore planting and gardening, decorating and building in order to make the best possible home for your friend then yes, a tortoise or turtle is right for you. They are addictive and great for stress relief and just winding down from a day at work or school. I can't get enough of mine (I have 40 tortoises and turtles). Watching and caring for them. But if you are looking for something to cuddle and play with then a tortoise or turtle is not the right pet.