Digestion Temperatures

Darwin_T

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I just had a couple quick questions.
I have a Greek and I was wondering, what temperature is warm song uh for then to be abke to digest their food? Also, if they eat and it is too cold for them to digest, will long it short term problems occur?
Thanks a lot

Darwin_T

5 Year Member
Sorry about the typos
In case they made it hard to tell what I was saying, my first question was, what temperature is warm enough for Darwin (Greek) to digest his food?
Sorry and thanks!

Ciri

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Tucson
I believe tortoises they need to be at temperatures in the mid-80s F to be able to digest their food (or a little warmer). I don't know for sure about your tortoise species, but that's true of the desert tortoise.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This is not studied or known and it will vary by species most likely. They seem to do okay at mid 80's but some seem to function lower than that, while other species seem to need it higher than that. For example Manouria do just fine with colder temps, while stars like it hotter. Yours will be some where in the middle.

As for how long until you saw problems from rotting food in the gut, well a lot of factors would play a part in that. Anywhere from a few days to a few weeks.

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
But it probably would never get that far because tortoises won't eat if they aren't warm enough.

Darwin_T

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone.
And if anyone could expand on what Tom was saying about the rotting food that would be great.
Thanks