Different behavior

Shellhugger

Hello, I have a young hermanns tortoise and I'm wondering why lately my Morty hasn't been as active. He has been favoring a corner under the UVB to just lay in, and he use to run around a lot of the day. I have him outside and I live in Florida so it's pretty humid, so I spray his enclosure throughout the day to keep it humid. In the mornings I've noticed he'll also soak himself in his water bowl for an hour at least, even though I assure you he gets daily baths. I'm just not sure if he needs more to climb on, or if it's more of a humidity thing? Please and thanks for all help!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
A pic of the enclosure might help.

What type of UVB?

What are your four temps?

I don't understand why you have UV lighting over him if he lives outside, and I don't understand why you are spraying the enclosure throughout the day if its already humid there. Can you explain?

Also, if he self soaks for an hour a day, I don't see any need for you to do it again.

Shellhugger

It's a 120 UVB, and he's on the porch that's covered so it's not in full direct sunlight . And the temp is usually 80 F
A pic of the enclosure might help.

What type of UVB?

What are your four temps?

I don't understand why you have UV lighting over him if he lives outside, and I don't understand why you are spraying the enclosure throughout the day if its already humid there. Can you explain?

Also, if he self soaks for an hour a day, I don't see any need for you to do it again.[/QUOTE

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Never heard of a 120. Is it a mercury vapor bulb?

There are four temps that you need to know and adjust. Warm side, cool side, basking area and night. Where is it usually 80?

Shellhugger

I believe it was a 120 watt UVB bulb. But it's at 80 degrees in the spot above the humid box which is the opposite side of bulb and plant area. I'm just curious as to why he's been favoring this corner under the light.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
I believe it was a 120 watt UVB bulb. But it's at 80 degrees in the spot above the humid box which is the opposite side of bulb and plant area. I'm just curious as to why he's been favoring this corner under the light.
Hi. Can we a picture of the bulb itself? And does he have a shady spot as well as a sunny spot outside? If he's outside, you might not need a UVB bulb at all. Also, in FL, you shouldn't need to spray him to keep the humidity up. The environment should be humid enough for tortoises.

A picture of the enclosure could shed some light--no pun intended!--into why he's favouring one particular spot.

May, Aussies, & Hermannis
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

WillTort2

5 Year Member
The glass sides of your enclosure will block most of the UV. You can either set up a true outdoor enclosure or get a safe UV bulb. The coil bulb in your picture is thought to cause eye problems including blindness in tortoises.

Therefore, switch to a basking bulb and add a straight tubular UV light or go with one of the combo basking and UV bulbs.

Another possibility is to set up a true outdoor enclosure with some sun and some shade.

One reason he may be in the water bowl is to cool off. What is your cool end temperature during the heat of the day?

Good luck.

Shellhugger

Thank you. I hadn't read that anywhere :( he has the log and rock to hide under but the cooler temps are 72 but under the lamp it was warmer. So a tube bulb- any particular watt favored ? Other than it being a UVB

Shellhugger

In the oriniginal post question he was basking in the corner that had the bulb in it before though. I've turned the bulb off, until I run out today for new ones but am still unsure why he's been in weird spots? I'm fixing the bulb but jut am still curious about the behavior