Tortoise petting?

Shellhugger

So my Mortise "Morty" is a youngster and everyday when I give him his baths I try to lightly pet his head and handle him regularly. I want him to get use to me, and being handled. Am I doing this the right way ? Can any of you confirm if you have hermanns that like being handled or lightly stroked?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    836.9 KB · Views: 45

tortoisetime565

Location (City and/or State)
Oklahoma
Almost all of my tortoises let me pick them up and pull lightly on their limbs. They are all used to my routine checks. I always check their nose, face, feet, and booty. Lol. I think you are doing fine. I always try to hold mine by the bottom of their shell so they don't freak out.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
My tort gets slightly annoyed when I pet him, then he ignores it. My fingers also seem like food to him!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Tortoises and turtles unfortunately for you do not need to be petted or picked up. They will get use to you by living their typical lives. Being creatures of habit they will begin to recognize that you are the "bringer" of food, and then greet you. But this is a display of knowing they have food coming to them, and not a display of affection like a cat or dog would display. It's unfortunate I hearing this. But tortoises are meant to be kept in and observatory fashion. Occasional picking in yes, for soaking, or taking outside, weighing, or cleaning enclosure. But that's about it. Hand feeding can also be an issue too.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
My Russian tortoise and box turtle are used to being picked up. I cannot see well so it does me no good to look at them in their enclosure so I pick them up and look closely at them touch all their legs head shell etc. they don't seem to mind, of course I usually give them something to eat when I'm done poking and prodding at them :) I did have to start slowly at first, I did not get them as babies. Tolerating a close inspection is just the price my animals have to pay, I spoil them rotten otherwise so I think it is probably worth it to them. By the way your little baby is adorable :) just be gentle, and I think you will be fine. They can definitely feel it when you touch the shell also.

Jami

Oh he's so cute! My baby tort is starting to get used to me picking him up and petting his head to check him out when we got to soak time. He's also started looking up at me when I bring him new food or I'm walking by the enclosure. I love that he is responsive, even if it's just cause I bring the food!