Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
JeffG said:
Tom said:
... Jerry Fife just hatched his first four ever too.

REALLY?!! I thought he only had one Galap! I guess I need to make a phone call!

He gave a presentation on the whole thing this year at the TTPG. He has two females that he's been raising for many years and some one loaned him a subadult male several years ago. It has just recently reached maturity and he got his first successful hatch last year, just before the conference.

As Aldabraman stated, they are perfectly legal to own and buy, but if you wish to cross state lines with them, you will need a Captive Bred Wildlife Permit.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Tom said:
MORTYtheTORTY said:
Tom said:
Seems to me hatchling care would be similar. I think that sulcatas will have a higher grass percentage in the diet as adults. Both would be fine with humidity, like in FL, but the sulcata will fare better than an aldab without it.

I think Aldabs can live without humidity as well...I've seen others in CA who are aldab owners and it is def not humid here =/ but the ones in FL from Aldabraman do look very healthy and happy =)

This is a good point and if we are not careful it could start a big debate...

Any tortoise species can survive anywhere in the world with enough technical knowledge, effort and expense. Survival and thriving are two different things. I know of several Aldabras surviving in CA. But I have never seen any that thrive the way Aldabraman's do in humid FL. I saw some other ones in an animal park in FL, and those too, looked fantastic.

Have you ever considered a Galop instead of an Aldabra? Galops are much more suited to the CA climate than Aldabras, in my opinion.

My climate has always been a big factor in my choice of species to work with. This is why I don't keep redfoots or Manouria. Two species that I would love to get into. It is possible to keep them alive here, its just not ideal. Sulcatas, Leopards, Russians, Galops and Burmese stars, on the other hand, should all do very well here as adults living outside.

I can add supporting testimony that Florida seems to be almost perfect for our breeding colony, they just thrive. Ample natural food sources , space, and natural high humidity is abundant.

I will add that I know of many that keep sulcatas, Galops, and other species that also thrive. Florida is just a great state for tortoises.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Galops cost more and are much harder to come by nowadays. Aldabras are being bred more in captivity now and Galops are still proving very difficult and frustrating. That is why Jerry's success is so noteworthy. Of course no one, not even zoos, have Aldabraman's success. So he's the man to ask about anything having to do with Aldabras.

MORTYtheTORTY

5 Year Member
Cali
Tom said:
JeffG said:
Tom said:

He gave a presentation on the whole thing this year at the TTPG. He has two females that he's been raising for many years and some one loaned him a subadult male several years ago. It has just recently reached maturity and he got his first successful hatch last year, just before the conference.

As Aldabraman stated, they are perfectly legal to own and buy, but if you wish to cross state lines with them, you will need a Captive Bred Wildlife Permit.

Hey, any chance that Jeff is on the TFO or if there's a link to his Galops...I'd like to see them =) OOPS I meant Jerry

JeffG

5 Year Member
Arizona
Tom said:
JeffG said:
Tom said:

I really hate that I missed the conference (only a few miles from my house). I bought a male leopard tortoise from Jerry about 6 months ago and when we met to transfer the tortoise, we talked about his Galop for a minute, but I didn't catch anything about breeding. Sometimes I'm just stupid I guess. :(

MORTYtheTORTY

5 Year Member
Cali
ALDABRAMAN said:
Tom said:
MORTYtheTORTY said:
Tom said:
Seems to me hatchling care would be similar. I think that sulcatas will have a higher grass percentage in the diet as adults. Both would be fine with humidity, like in FL, but the sulcata will fare better than an aldab without it.

I think Aldabs can live without humidity as well...I've seen others in CA who are aldab owners and it is def not humid here =/ but the ones in FL from Aldabraman do look very healthy and happy =)

Any tortoise species can survive anywhere in the world with enough technical knowledge, effort and expense. Survival and thriving are two different things. I know of several Aldabras surviving in CA. But I have never seen any that thrive the way Aldabraman's do in humid FL. I saw some other ones in an animal park in FL, and those too, looked fantastic.

Have you ever considered a Galop instead of an Aldabra? Galops are much more suited to the CA climate than Aldabras, in my opinion.

My climate has always been a big factor in my choice of species to work with. This is why I don't keep redfoots or Manouria. Two species that I would love to get into. It is possible to keep them alive here, its just not ideal. Sulcatas, Leopards, Russians, Galops and Burmese stars, on the other hand, should all do very well here as adults living outside.

I can add supporting testimony that Florida seems to be almost perfect for our breeding colony, they just thrive. Ample natural food sources , space, and natural high humidity is abundant.

I will add that I know of many that keep sulcatas, Galops, and other species that also thrive. Florida is just a great state for tortoises.

That sucks =( I wanted one in the future maybe but if they aren't meant for this weather then maybe it's a bad idea to look into that in the future...I seen emysemy's pics of her Aldabras and they look great and she lives around the area so that's why I questioned. Maybe if we happen to move to FL I would reconsider =P Can you cross state lines carrying sulcata's or is this only for Aldabra's or Galops?

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
JeffG said:
Tom said:

I heard that he received two of the four and sold them to my friend in Florida. I will ask if I can post pictures of them, they are just beautiful. Jerry posted a single picture in the Kingsnake forum of one hatching out, just wonderful photo!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I met a zoo keeper who thought he was having great success because he was occasionally having a few Aldabras hatch out every other year. He had been trying for years and had all sorts of elaborate details and tricks to make it all happen. I told him about my friend in FL and he just sort of looked at me in disbelief. I told him to go to TFO and look it up. Its all documented with 100's of gorgeous pics. He asked me to give Aldabraman his contact info, which I happily did.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
There is a exotic pet store is Las Vegas that will get a hatchling Galop every once in a while and sells them for $5,000 each.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
GeoTerraTestudo said:
Are Galapagos more expensive than Aldabras, or are they similarly priced?

Yes, supply and demand. A lot less Galops produced and on the market than Aldabras. About 2 1/2 times the price!

MORTYtheTORTY

5 Year Member
Cali
ALDABRAMAN said:
JeffG said:
Tom said:

I heard that the zoo kept two and he received two and sold them to my friend in Florida. I will ask if I can post pictures of them, they are just beautiful. Jerry posted a single picture in the Kingsnake forum of one hatching out, just wonderful photo!

If you can post pics then that'd be great! Is this Jerry fife guy here in the TFO? I couldn't find him?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Galops and Radiateds need a CBW permit to cross state lines.
Sulcatas and Leopards are supposed to have a veterinarian supplied health certificate to cross state lines.
Aldabras and any other species need no permits of any kind.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
MORTYtheTORTY said:
ALDABRAMAN said:
Tom said:
MORTYtheTORTY said:
Tom said:

That sucks =( I wanted one in the future maybe but if they aren't meant for this weather then maybe it's a bad idea to look into that in the future...I seen emysemy's pics of her Aldabras and they look great and she lives around the area so that's why I questioned. Maybe if we happen to move to FL I would reconsider =P Can you cross state lines carrying sulcata's or is this only for Aldabra's or Galops?

To my knowledge, only Galops have the permitting issues.

MORTYtheTORTY

5 Year Member
Cali
GGEEEEZZZ THE PRICE ON THE GALOP...I rather pay for the price of a Aldab but like Aldabraman said they thrive better in FL...will have to ask questions to Aldab owners here in CA to get their intake as well because Yvonne G's Aldabs look in good condition but there is a big difference as Tom said about thriving and surviving!

@Tom: That's a fact about the permit thing? Why would one need a permit for a sulcata or Leo and not for Galop or Aldab? Doesn't make sense to me, I'd figure it was the other way around lol

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Tom said:
I met a zoo keeper who thought he was having great success because he was occasionally having a few Aldabras hatch out every other year. He had been trying for years and had all sorts of elaborate details and tricks to make it all happen. I told him about my friend in FL and he just sort of looked at me in disbelief. I told him to go to TFO and look it up. Its all documented with 100's of gorgeous pics. He asked me to give Aldabraman his contact info, which I happily did.

Thanks again Tom, We have spoke extensively on the phone.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
dmarcus said:
There is a exotic pet store is Las Vegas that will get a hatchling Galop every once in a while and sells them for $5,000 each.

Yes, they are produced in Florida. Unsure if the breeder is still having any success, last I heard was they were not.

To my knowledge, there were two sources, both in Florida, that were actively producing hatchling galops, The Funny Farm & Life Fellowship.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You don't need a PERMIT for a sulcata. You need a HEALTH CERTIFICATE to cross state lines legally.

You DO need a permit for Galops to cross state lines.

You DON'T need a permit for Aldabras. They just aren't as endangered, and/or the silly lawmakers just have not gotten around to making it difficult to own an Aldab. YET...

If anyone ever wanted an Aldabra, I think you would be crazy to not take a drive to meet Aldabraman and get it from him. He is THE premier Aldabra breeder in the US, and we are all privileged to have him as an active member right here on our forum. This should not be taken for granted. NO ONE anywhere gets to see and experience the things that he routinely shares with us here. It really is something special.

... just in case everyone didn't already realize this...

ALDABRAMAN said:
Tom said:

Thanks again Tom, We have spoke extensively on the phone.

Yes, but do you think you were able to help him much? Or does he just need to move the whole operation to FL? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.