Diff btwn the care of Aldabra/Sulcata

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORTYtheTORTY

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Cali
Hello everyone,
I'm still a newbie about the Sulcata but was very interested in Aldabra's for future reference...What's the difference in caring for a Aldabra as opposed to a Sulcata? Is their diet the same as adults and is their enclosure the same as hatchlings such as diet and temp? Just wondering how much big a difference there is in care.

Please don't try to respond about responsibility or treat me as if I don't know what I'm doing. I own my own home and just a newbie at torts is all. I've dealt with numerous Animals all my life and barely getting into torts now, thank you and any answer is GREATLY appreciated =D

MORTYtheTORTY

5 Year Member
Cali
I know right! HAHAHAHA I've been emailing him but still awaiting response.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
I have never kept either species, but I can get the ball rolling.

For one thing, the Aldabra is tied for first place with the Galapagos as the largest tortoise species alive today (up to 500 lbs, and occasionally up to 800 lbs). The sulcata, although it is the largest continental tortoise, does not get nearly that big: "only" about 200-250 lbs, max. For context, that's like the difference in weight between a grizzly bear and a mastiff. Big difference!

As for climate, Aldabras (and Galapagos) come from humid, tropical, oceanic islands, while sulcatas come from Africa's tropical Sahel, a region just south of the Sahara that ranges from semi-arid subdesert to more humid grasslands and savannas.

Both species eat leafy greens like other tortoises, but are also large enough to digest grasses in significant quantities. However, I do not know how the proportion of grass in the diet differs between the two species.

Finally, I have read that island tortoises like Aldabras and Galapagos are sensitive to iodine deficiency in the diet, because they are native to areas with iodine-rich soils. As such, an Aldabra would need more iodine in its diet than a sulcata or other mainland tortoise. However, I have heard conflicting opinions about this, stating that Aldabras are not anymore sensitive to goiter (thyroid problems resulting from iodine deficiency) than any other tortoise. So, I don't know what the verdict on that point is.

Well, that's about it. I leave it up to the experts now.

MORTYtheTORTY

5 Year Member
Cali
GeoTerraTestudo said:
I have never kept either species, but I can get the ball rolling.

For one thing, the Aldabra is tied for first place with the Galapagos as the largest tortoise species alive today (up to 500 lbs, and occasionally up to 800 lbs). The sulcata, although it is the largest continental tortoise, does not get nearly that big: "only" about 200-250 lbs, max. For context, that's like the difference in weight between a grizzly bear and a mastiff. Big difference!

As for climate, Aldabras (and Galapagos) come from humid, tropical, oceanic islands, while sulcatas come from Africa's tropical Sahel, a region just south of the Sahara that ranges from semi-arid subdesert to more humid grasslands and savannas.

Both species eat leafy greens like other tortoises, but are also large enough to digest grasses in significant quantities. However, I do not know how the proportion of grass in the diet differs between the two species.

Finally, I have read that island tortoises like Aldabras and Galapagos are sensitive to iodine deficiency in the diet, because they are native to areas with iodine-rich soils. As such, an Aldabra would need more iodine in its diet than a sulcata or other mainland tortoise. However, I have heard conflicting opinions about this, stating that Aldabras are not anymore sensitive to goiter (thyroid problems resulting from iodine deficiency) than any other tortoise. So, I don't know what the verdict on that point is.

Well, that's about it. I leave it up to the experts now.

=D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Seems to me hatchling care would be similar. I think that sulcatas will have a higher grass percentage in the diet as adults. Both would be fine with humidity, like in FL, but the sulcata will fare better than an aldab without it.

MORTYtheTORTY

5 Year Member
Cali
Tom said:
Seems to me hatchling care would be similar. I think that sulcatas will have a higher grass percentage in the diet as adults. Both would be fine with humidity, like in FL, but the sulcata will fare better than an aldab without it.

I think Aldabs can live without humidity as well...I've seen others in CA who are aldab owners and it is def not humid here =/ but the ones in FL from Aldabraman do look very healthy and happy =)

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
The prices for these two species, of course, are quite different. Sulcatas run in the hundreds of dollars, aldabras in the thousands. Not sure how much of an issue that is for you, but it is something to be aware of.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
MORTYtheTORTY said:
Tom said:

I think Aldabs can live without humidity as well...I've seen others in CA who are aldab owners and it is def not humid here =/ but the ones in FL from Aldabraman do look very healthy and happy =)

This is a good point and if we are not careful it could start a big debate...

Any tortoise species can survive anywhere in the world with enough technical knowledge, effort and expense. Survival and thriving are two different things. I know of several Aldabras surviving in CA. But I have never seen any that thrive the way Aldabraman's do in humid FL. I saw some other ones in an animal park in FL, and those too, looked fantastic.

Have you ever considered a Galop instead of an Aldabra? Galops are much more suited to the CA climate than Aldabras, in my opinion.

My climate has always been a big factor in my choice of species to work with. This is why I don't keep redfoots or Manouria. Two species that I would love to get into. It is possible to keep them alive here, its just not ideal. Sulcatas, Leopards, Russians, Galops and Burmese stars, on the other hand, should all do very well here as adults living outside.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Tom said:
Have you ever considered a Galop instead of an Aldabra? Galops are much more suited to the CA climate than Aldabras, in my opinion.

My climate has always been a big factor in my choice of species to work with. This is why I don't keep redfoots or Manouria. Two species that I would love to get into. It is possible to keep them alive here, its just not ideal. Sulcatas, Leopards, Russians, Galops and Burmese stars, on the other hand, should all do very well here as adults living outside.

Are Galapagos tortoises legal to own as pets?

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
nicoleandrocky said:
This is a job for ALDABRAMAN!

Very similar, the real issues would be ample space for exercise and affording them higher quantities of food. Some have had many challenges containing large adults with simple conventional fencing. Aldabra males are not confrontational with other males, therefore several adult males can easily be housed within the same habitat without territorial or dominance concerns. The most notable difference is financial, the cost of keeping, housing, feeding, etc. All relevant to the size difference of the two species.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
GeoTerraTestudo said:

Yes. Our very own Cory had one for several years. Jerry Fife just hatched his first four ever too.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
GeoTerraTestudo said:
Tom said:

Yes, permit legalities are required if transported from state to state. I know several that own Galapagos tortoises, they are great. Males will have altercations and ram each other or turn one another over. I know of some cases the females have been aggressive with each other over food.

MORTYtheTORTY

5 Year Member
Cali
Tom said:
MORTYtheTORTY said:
Tom said:

This is a good point and if we are not careful it could start a big debate...

Any tortoise species can survive anywhere in the world with enough technical knowledge, effort and expense. Survival and thriving are two different things. I know of several Aldabras surviving in CA. But I have never seen any that thrive the way Aldabraman's do in humid FL. I saw some other ones in an animal park in FL, and those too, looked fantastic.

I thought Galops were illegal to own as pets??! Might want to check with certain counties but I'm sure I read that they were illegal..do you have a link to someone that has any? I'd def like to see them...=D

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Tom said:
GeoTerraTestudo said:

Yes. Our very own Cory had one for several years. Jerry Fife just hatched his first four ever too.

I know the owner that purchased two, they are doing great!

MORTYtheTORTY said:
ALDABRAMAN said:
MORTYtheTORTY said:
I know right! HAHAHAHA I've been emailing him but still awaiting response.

[email protected]

Hi Aldabraman =P I sent an email earlier to that one you posted there and also I went on here in the TFO and sent a message too, IDK if that one takes me to the same email

It should, I have gotten many from TFO members. I will send you a test e-mail to confirm. OOPS, You have no e-mail displayed!

MORTYtheTORTY

5 Year Member
Cali
ALDABRAMAN said:
GeoTerraTestudo said:
Tom said:

Yes, permit legalities are required if transported from state to state. I know several that own Galapagos tortoises, they are great. Males will have altercations and ram each other or turn one another over. I know of some cases the females have been aggressive with each other over food.

You answered my question =D
What's the difference in hatchling care (diet, temperature wise) indoors and when do you move them outdoors? Have you ever shipped to CA and like Tom said are they even suited to live here? What's the diet in Adult care besides the usual grass/weeds? Just wondering if it's similar to sulcata's. Do you know of Galops any? Thank you! =)

JeffG

5 Year Member
Arizona
Tom said:
... Jerry Fife just hatched his first four ever too.

REALLY?!! I thought he only had one Galap! I guess I need to make a phone call!

Status
Not open for further replies.