Desert Tortoise Problem

Harley51

I've had a desert tortoise for 57 years. Only this year has he turned away from eating lettuce. He eats grass, carrots, broccoli. He seems to be a lot slower than normal. Is this something to worry about. I live in southern California."

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
I think it is wonderful that you've had a tortoise for so long. Can we see pictures of him? I don't know why he would suddenly decide to stop eating one thing. Maybe tortoises tastes change just like peoples do. Have you taken him to a vet to get checked out?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello and a very warm welcome to a pair of long term friends.
You say you've had him for A Heinz variety of years, but could he be older than this ?
It catches up with us all, in the end.
Perhaps it's just a phase and a change in habit, but it may be, that he's beginning to show his age.
Photos of the old boy would be good, if you can.

Harley51

How old he is is unknown. He was a lot smaller when we first got him. I got him when I was 5. I'm 62. He's about 13 lbs. now. Vet sounds like a good idea. He comes out everyday and has a part of the yard that he likes best.

P5310003.JPG P5310001.JPG P5310002.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!!

That little green ring in the second picture worries me a bit. Makes me think he might have eaten something that could be blocking him.

Lot's of times desert tortoises come out of hibernation and don't act right. It could be nothing, it could be something serious. Desert tortoises, especially captive desert tortoises, are prone to bladder stones. He may have quite the load of parasites. It's a bit expensive, but an x-ray for stones would be a good idea.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
How old he is is unknown. He was a lot smaller when we first got him. I got him when I was 5. I'm 62. He's about 13 lbs. now. Vet sounds like a good idea. He comes out everyday and has a part of the yard that he likes best.

View attachment 129742 View attachment 129743 View attachment 129745

He looks good...in the pics he does not look like he is starving himself :) If the only change is he does not want the lettuce, I would not worry. If he has stopped eating altogether...then I would worry. Is he sun bathing, walking about, drinking water? Other than the lettuce, normal? A tortoise of that approximate age is about the size you describe.....has anything in "his world" changed...even in the slightest? What does he do during the winter months? I mean, does he brumate indoors or does he do it outdoors? Or do you keep him awake all winter? I would not run to the vet just yet...just my take from what you have described...

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ . Desert torts Rule ! And it's so nice to see another member that knows 1955 isn't a tire size . And again welcome !ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1431495856.857103.jpg

Harley51

(Is he sun bathing, walking about, drinking water) He hangs out in the morning on the driveway then heads out to the yard to eat grass.He only drinks water when he comes out of hibernation. (has anything in "his world" changed...even in the slightest) Yes I retired and instead of him sleeping in his igloo dog house at night he sleeps in the garage like he does every summer. He did come out a month early due to the heat we been having. (What does he do during the winter months) He sleeps in a box on a self in the garage. I would check on him every few weeks during hibernation. Thanks for the reply. I'll see if he will drink water in the morning.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
(Is he sun bathing, walking about, drinking water) He hangs out in the morning on the driveway then heads out to the yard to eat grass.He only drinks water when he comes out of hibernation. (has anything in "his world" changed...even in the slightest) Yes I retired and instead of him sleeping in his igloo dog house at night he sleeps in the garage like he does every summer. He did come out a month early due to the heat we been having. (What does he do during the winter months) He sleeps in a box on a self in the garage. I would check on him every few weeks during hibernation. Thanks for the reply. I'll see if he will drink water in the morning.

hmmmm....lots of possibilities here....now, please do not take offense...you retired, so likely you are able to "watch" him more these days, right? Perhaps you are simply becoming more in tune with what he actually does...versus when you worked, you only observed the things that took place during the times you were there??? If the tortoise comes out, basks on that big ole warm rock (aka; concrete? driveway)..then warms up (kinda like a cool old hot rod being started up first in the morning)...and he then goes and munches down on grass -which is way better for the tortoise than lettuce-- all seems good here...so his night sleeping location, during awake months, has changed to the garage and no longer the igloo? was that his choice? And in the secure safe garage during brumation is good--this year the weather kinda made some of the torts here in the high desert act a little out of sorts as well...but they are eventually getting back into the normal swing....I believe that change up is in itself a variable taking into consideration each year is not the same...you know what I mean?

Do you take this tortoise to the vet all of the time or not much of the time? I ask only because if the tort is not use to the vet drama....I would not start the trauma now...again, just my opinion....

Harley51

ascott one problem that got created when I retired and let him sleep in the garage. With the colder weather and cold floor seems to have been the problem. Today it was warm he hit the driveway warmed up the old engine and cleared the yard. He still turned down lettuce. But ate all the carrots.