Desert Tortoise information

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steven9786

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Ok well I have some desert tortoises and i just wanted to know where you guys keep your tortoises, and what you feed them, and what kind substrate you use, and pretty much the basics.:tort:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Steven:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

In my opinion, tortoises belong outside. And so, all my tortoises are outside in pens especially set up to house the different types of tortoise I keep. Even my babies are outside. The only time I have an indoor habitat is when I have brand new babies right out of the incubator. In that case, I use a MVB (mercury vapor bulb) with cypress mulch as the substrate, or orchid bark. I grow different types of lettuces, turnips (for the greens), weeds, hollyhocks, grapes (for the leaves) and mullberry.

May we know appx. where in the world you are?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
The CDTs here are outside 24/7 except indoors for brumation from Nov 1st ish to when they wake up from brumation...:D

yoda3106

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi Steven:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

In my opinion, tortoises belong outside. And so, all my tortoises are outside in pens especially set up to house the different types of tortoise I keep. Even my babies are outside. The only time I have an indoor habitat is when I have brand new babies right out of the incubator. In that case, I use a MVB (mercury vapor bulb) with cypress mulch as the substrate, or orchid bark. I grow different types of lettuces, turnips (for the greens), weeds, hollyhocks, grapes (for the leaves) and mullberry.

May we know appx. where in the world you are?

2nd all of this!! :)

ascott said:
The CDTs here are outside 24/7 except indoors for brumation from Nov 1st ish to when they wake up from brumation...:D

I 2nd this too lol

Laura said:
outside. dirt, graze on grass and weeds.
post pics!!

And this haha

Status
Not open for further replies.