Status
Not open for further replies.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
East Bay area
Hello! Apologies for not posting myself earlier. I missed your thread before now. Quite often it will take awhile before someone with your species specific knowledge will catch a thread. You appear to have California Desert Tortoises. You may see them referred to as CDTs on here. They are generally an inland rather than coastal tortoise. I encourage you to do your very best to keep them very healthy as they are a species that is prone to respiratory trouble and can become quite fragile if they have a history of illness. There should be a basic set of care guidelines in the species specific pages. It is important for you to keep them warm in your coastal dampness. I also encourage you to NOT brumate them for a couple of years so that they can havd a good long time to adapt to your climate. I hope this is a help to you along your path to knowing more about your great species.

65redroses

5 Year Member
Cayucos California
kanalomele said:
Hello! Apologies for not posting myself earlier. I missed your thread before now. Quite often it will take awhile before someone with your species specific knowledge will catch a thread. You appear to have California Desert Tortoises. You may see them referred to as CDTs on here. They are generally an inland rather than coastal tortoise. I encourage you to do your very best to keep them very healthy as they are a species that is prone to respiratory trouble and can become quite fragile if they have a history of illness. There should be a basic set of care guidelines in the species specific pages. It is important for you to keep them warm in your coastal dampness. I also encourage you to NOT brumate them for a couple of years so that they can havd a good long time to adapt to your climate. I hope this is a help to you along your path to knowing more about your great species.

Thank you so much for responding. That was very kind of you.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi 65:

Your new babies look pretty dry in the picture. Do you moisten the substrate? Other than "dry" they look great! Desert tortoises are one of my favorite species. We now know that the original tortoise that we thought was a "desert tortoise," is now divided into two (maybe even three) separate species. From the Colorado River north we have the Gopherus morafkai and from the river south its called the Gopherus agassizii. I haven't been able to see the difference in the two. Here's more reading on the subject if you're interested:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desert_tortoise

65redroses

5 Year Member
Cayucos California
Thank you for your reply. How moist should their substrate be? Or is there something better that I should be using for the substrate? Do you have CDTs?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, I do. I have one male and five females who live outside year round, and I have two babies...well they're now about 5 years old, that live outside and winter inside. When the young ones are indoors, I keep them on moistened orchid bark. My "indoor" habitat is actually outside on the car port. Its an 8'x4' cinder block structure about 3 block high with a plywood roof that I prop open if the sun is shining. I bring the hose in the carport and squirt the substrate until its quite wet. The lights soon dry out the top layer of substrate, leaving it nice and moist underneath.

65redroses

5 Year Member
Cayucos California
emysemys said:
Welcome to the Forum, 65!

The tortoises should be fine if you keep them warm and hydrated.

So do you think I will be able to get the outside even though I live on the central coast? Any tips?

emysemys said:
Yes, I do. I have one male and five females who live outside year round, and I have two babies...well they're now about 5 years old, that live outside and winter inside. When the young ones are indoors, I keep them on moistened orchid bark. My "indoor" habitat is actually outside on the car port. Its an 8'x4' cinder block structure about 3 block high with a plywood roof that I prop open if the sun is shining. I bring the hose in the carport and squirt the substrate until its quite wet. The lights soon dry out the top layer of substrate, leaving it nice and moist underneath.

Do you think they will be ok living on the central coast? How old do they need before the can be moved to outside? They are 16 months right now. Any advice?

tortiemama

5 Year Member
Los Angeles
Hi and Welcome! I also have a California Desert Tortoise (which is what it looks like you have there). As kanalomele stated, they are VERY prone to upper respiratory disease, which is extremely contagious between torts, and could possibly turn into pneumonia if left untreated. The cool air up there on the coast may be a little too much for them, especially at night (and some days). Although this forum is a VERY great resource, I strongly advise you consult a veterinarian with your concerns. He/She should be able to answer all your questions for keeping torties in your region. Plus, they can check your little guys out and make sure they're on the healthy track. Look for one that specializes in tortoises/reptiles. I found this listing to help you get started: http://www.repticzone.com/articles/vets/California.html While this list may be a good start, I also encourage you to look around further. My vet is not on this list, and he is wonderful (found him by calling around). Best to you and your little ones : )

65redroses

5 Year Member
Cayucos California
How much of a distant should there be between the tort and the basking light? About 12 inches? And would that be the same for the UVB light? Thanks everyone. I took my baby torts out of the glass aquarium and bought a plastic under the bed storage container to put them in. Got them a log hide. Now it will be easier to take them outside when it is sunny out. A lot lighter too.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I have four male CDTs that live here...each and every one of them have their own faces/shapes and colors....I believe I have both species that Yvonne linked for you....yes, they can be prone to respiratory issues---but so can other species referenced as "arid species"....but do not misunderstand that "arid species" is a misleading statement...yes, they live and survive in that environment but that is above ground environment---this species spends almost all of their time under ground--either due to extreme cold or extreme heat---and underground is moist--and usually a comfortable temp....

yes, coastal areas are generally wetter (above ground) environment that here in the mojave desert....however, I believe if you design your outdoor enclosure with dry out spots then your torts should be just fine...just remember, warm to hot with lots of humidity is aok---cold with any wetness is detrimental to their health and can increase their chances for ailments....

If you are going to brumate them, you should be successful in doing so indoors and not outdoors (but of course you should make yourself educated in the facilitation of brumation to help assure a successful process)....

I would also agree with Yvonne that they look a little parched....do you offer warm water soaks for them a few times a week? If so, maybe increase your soak times and if not, then give it a try...CDTs love love love to drink water and "most" appreciate a good long warm water soak....

65redroses

5 Year Member
Cayucos California
Hi all, is a large sweater box a ok place to house two young CDTs? Does anyone have photos if they have one. Thanks.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Welcome to TFO ;) I'm glad you are getting the help you need. This forum is filled with great people and great information :)

65redroses

5 Year Member
Cayucos California
I have two small CDTs or at least that is what I have been told they are. I have a large kiddie pool that I want to put outside for them. What is a decent inexpensive substrate I can fill it with? Thank you.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
dirt. but it gets really heavy, so place it where you want it to be.. and don't let it rain on it or it will fill with water.. I poked holes in mine when I used it..

Status
Not open for further replies.