Dented shell

Status
Not open for further replies.

remitort071312

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
I was wondering if any if you knew if my baby torts shell that has a dent in it will stay dented forever? The breeder wrote on her shell with a paint pen and he dented her shell, I've tried to take a pic but can't get a good one of it.

remitort071312

5 Year Member
Ohio
image-862873512.png

See how it dips right where the two is u can tell it was from the pen

image-1057278860.png

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My first thought was that whatever was used might have been very harsh, causing the shell to "cringe" away from it. Very unscientific, I know, but that's what I thought. Can you gently try to pick at it with your fingernail and flake it off? At any rate, as the baby grows, that particular spot seems to get so tiny, they you won't even be able to notice it was indented. I doubt its harmful to the tortoise, but I sure wouldn't use that type of chemical to mark a baby in the future.

remitort071312

5 Year Member
Ohio
I didn't use that on her, I ordered from Florida and I'm from ohio so he marks all his torts that way, I gently brush at it with a baby tooth brush once a week during soaks. It won't budge the paint tho. And I don't wanna use any chemicals on her.

Masin

5 Year Member
North Florida
Have you contacted the breeder? I agree, it seems like her/his shell is receding from the paint or unable to grow some how from it. It looks like what you said, a paint pen which is horribly toxic. Poor little fella. Keep us posted, I'd love to get updated pictures and see how she/he ages. She looks beautiful regardless!

remitort071312

5 Year Member
Ohio
I have asked him about his he said he uses it all the time on all his torts, I read that paint pens can cause shell deformities, how ever I'll love her no matter what. He also said she was a hatching and she was two months old, i dont know she measured at 2" when I got her 2 months ago now she's "4mths." he had yearlings for sale too, I think he sold me one of those instead of a hatching bc he wanted to make a sale. Not that it matters I'd just like to know her real age, he said he couldn't keep track of how old they were bc they hatched at diff times, well you already branded her with a two you can't just write down when she hatched next to the number you gave her. on a piece of paper lol.

Masin

5 Year Member
North Florida
Yea really! I wish I knew our girls age too but the shop we bought her at gave me a guess and couldn't answer me when I asked where they were from :(
Now you have a truly unique girl! I hope the paint comes off soon for you and her both.

remitort071312

5 Year Member
Ohio
Thx I took her outside today to roam and eat but she decided that my toes tasted better than the grass lhahaha it tickled.

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
remitort071312 said:
Thx I took her outside today to roam and eat but she decided that my toes tasted better than the grass lhahaha it tickled.

I wish mine would bite my toes and fingers! :D

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
My little ones nibble on my toes too :)

Poor baby! I'm sorry her shell is dented! :(

remitort071312

5 Year Member
Ohio
Chainsawkitten said:
My little ones nibble on my toes too :)

Poor baby! I'm sorry her shell is dented! :(

Thx! She's still the best pet I ever had :)

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Mineral oil applications around the paint may help separate it from the shell,and yet it may not, but it's worth a try, it wont hurt the tortoise.Peanut butter is also full of oils that are not harmful,and it will stick to the shell so the oils have time to soak in.She is a very nice looking girl. Good Luck

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
I'd be inclined to believe she was 2 months old when you got her, 4 months old now. She'll be MUCH BIGGER when she's a yearling.

remitort071312 said:
I have asked him about his he said he uses it all the time on all his torts, I read that paint pens can cause shell deformities, how ever I'll love her no matter what. He also said she was a hatching and she was two months old, i dont know she measured at 2" when I got her 2 months ago now she's "4mths." he had yearlings for sale too, I think he sold me one of those instead of a hatching bc he wanted to make a sale. Not that it matters I'd just like to know her real age, he said he couldn't keep track of how old they were bc they hatched at diff times, well you already branded her with a two you can't just write down when she hatched next to the number you gave her. on a piece of paper lol.

remitort071312

5 Year Member
Ohio
Edna said:
I'd be inclined to believe she was 2 months old when you got her, 4 months old now. She'll be MUCH BIGGER when she's a yearling.

remitort071312 said:

i can not wait till she gets that bigger, i am looking forward to buying a house when i get out of college that fits her needs, not mine. how crazy is that! as long as it has a beautiful kitchen and huge back yard ill be happy, i can always remodel what i dont like on the inside too. I am excited to make the whole back yard her home, well id love to have a veggie garden, not sure how that will work out with a eating machine. But i cant wait.

Len said:
Mineral oil applications around the paint may help separate it from the shell,and yet it may not, but it's worth a try, it wont hurt the tortoise.Peanut butter is also full of oils that are not harmful,and it will stick to the shell so the oils have time to soak in.She is a very nice looking girl. Good Luck

Thx! the breeder said he incubated them at a certain temp,so they would turn out mostly females, so i hope she really is a girl, I love Remi just as much if she is a he but i seen a male sulcata show him self once and it wasnt something id like to see all the time hahaha. Its Funny to my friends but she is the light of my life, i really look forward to each day with her.

TortoiseBoy1999 said:
remitort071312 said:

I wish mine would bite my toes and fingers! :D

I was surprised when she did it lol it caught me off guard and i yelped! it didnt hurt at all but im sure once shes bigger it could hurt haha.

Masin said:
Yea really! I wish I knew our girls age too but the shop we bought her at gave me a guess and couldn't answer me when I asked where they were from :(
Now you have a truly unique girl! I hope the paint comes off soon for you and her both.

I think we were meant to be haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.