Darwin Russian Yearling

hanbar78

:tort:

Hello! We have just purchased from a Uk breeder a Russian yearling.

I am worried as I am new to tortoises, that he is so tiny and that he feels very light & fragile. Looking at other pictures of russian yearlings, they seem to have a more 'domed' shell, what do you experts think?

We have him in an indoor table for the winter months with a heat lamp and a UV lamps, feeding him cuttle fish and weeds from the garden, having researched what's safe online.

Thank you! [/php]

[/code]

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 91

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum! Darwin looks to me just like a beautiful, yearling Russian tortoise is supposed to look. If he's light, maybe he needs a good soaking so he can hydrate.

hanbar78

Thank you so very much. It doesn't matter how much you research etc You still feel like assistance from experienced handlers is vital, which makes forums like this so valuable.

Thank you.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ, USA good luck with your new child ( RT ) just give it plenty of love and time

hanbar78

Thank you :) he's eating v well and luckily we live in a rural area with lots of dandelions etc. he's also been eating mixed salad greens and collard (spring) greens.

I have been chalking the greens with cuttlefish too. Shall I add a calcium supp or cuttle enough do u think? I don't want to over kill with the calcium!

Thank you :)