dandelion seeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

moswen

5 Year Member
i'm going to go ahead and post this here since i don't know how many people check the classifieds -and technically i'm not selling anything- but i've got so many dandelions in my back yard... it's redick. so, i've gone out and collected a bunch of seeds... they're free if anyone wants them! just p.m. me your address and i'll get them out asap! i also noticed that several more of the seed pod/flower stalk things were about to bloom, so if i do run out i will have some more in a day or two. my back yard has not been sprayed in two years, so they're chemical free seeds! i've got the equivalent of 2-3 full seed stalks right now. i'll send out 5 seeds unless you specify how many you want! thanks guys!

terracolson

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento
I have tried planting from seeds, its so hit and miss... I love the offer, but i have not had an luck with growing them, via my hand

elegans

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
They will germinate best if you give them at least 8 weeks in the crisper drawer of your refridge. Douglas

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
They also seem to do better if they have a lot of soil to work with. Deeper the better.

I had no luck growing them in 3-5" inch deep bins. But they grew decently well in my house over the winter in a 12" deep rubbermaid.

Luckily I don't have to grow them in the summer because my yard is full of them.

moswen

5 Year Member
Yes they do need deep soil, they have a "main root" that is very thick and very deep, and grows vertically down. I've never tried to grow the seeds before though so I don't know about freezing them or anything like that.

And to update: I've got about 10 seed stalks full of seeds and some other stragglers with half or more now, so if anyone at all wants any let me know! I just decided I should probably pick them all so that my yard's not completely over run by dandelions. So they'll eventually end up in the trash if no one speaks up!

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
elegans said:
They will germinate best if you give them at least 8 weeks in the crisper drawer of your refridge. Douglas

thanks for that info. i will try that when i get some!

i am the science type so i will have a few set ups...

1 deep area outside when i first get the seeds
1 deep area outside after 8 weeks in crisper drawer in refridge
1 deep area inside when i first get the seeds
1 deep area inside after 8 weeks in crisper drawer in refridge
1 shallow area outside when i first get the seeds
1 shallow area outside after 8 weeks in crisper drawer in refridge
1 shallow area inside when i first get the seeds
1 shallow area inside after 8 weeks in crisper drawer in refridge

any other ideas? any idea on how to make a "control" group?

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Isn't this crazy. The wind blows the seeds all over the neighborhood and they grow where they're not supposed to. But...when we try to plant them, we have to go through all this ...refrig.....deep soil...etc., and half the time they don't come up.

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
thats because millions will get blown, 100s will actually go. not good odds if you are planting intentionally. you want at least half to grow. that takes effort. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.