GRAPE SEEDS: how long to germinate?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Any plant people, please advise.
I had grape seeds that were about three years old. I gave them out to quite a few members and planted two of them shortly after. This is now going back over a month and the reports are that none of the seeds have germinated yet. Mine either.
Do grapes take a super long time to sprout? Are there dud seeds. Is three years too long? (I've seen ancient seed packs for sale)
Thanks.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Scarified? some seeds need winter cold before they'll sprout in the spring. Don't know if grape is among them, but wild grape seems to be.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Seeds from grapes grown on my property in South Carolina. They are Carlos variety Muscadines. Dried and stored in an open topped container and then a zip lock bag.
Like, no moisture left at all dried? I don't think any seed would sprout if it's insides became dried, but maybe grapes are different!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Like, no moisture left at all dried? I don't think any seed would sprout if it's insides became dried, but maybe grapes are different!
What about the seed packets at the store? They're dry and some must be extremely old.
The adult plants go completely dormant. No leaves and crunchy vines. Then are reborn when the rains come and grow to about 150% of the previous years size. There is no real winter here.
I'm hoping to be surprised by a sprout or two sometime in the future.
Sorry if I mailed out dud grapes, folks.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I will have more soon. There are hundreds if not thousands of tiny ones already on my vines at home here in Florida. As soon as the parrots find them, I'll have a few that reach maturity.:rolleyes:
These I grew from cuttings. Not seeds.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I will have more soon. There are hundreds if not thousands of tiny ones already on my vines at home here in Florida. As soon as the parrots find them, I'll have a few that reach maturity.:rolleyes:
These I grew from cuttings. Not seeds.

How did you do your cuttings?

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Well some seeds need birds or mammals to eat the fruit first so the body fluids soften the outer layer to get the shell to break and let the plant to grow . You might want to lay the seeds on a paper towel fold the towel in half , wet the towel with tea put in a zip lock bag for a few days and check the seeds every 5 days to see if they pop .

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Well some seeds need birds or mammals to eat the fruit first so the body fluids soften the outer layer to get the shell to break and let the plant to grow . You might want to lay the seeds on a paper towel fold the towel in half , wet the towel with tea put in a zip lock bag for a few days and check the seeds every 5 days to see if they pop .
Thanks. My plants are all TOO healthy. The seeds seem to be sprouting for the folks I sent them to, but very slowly.

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
Thanks. My plants are all TOO healthy. The seeds seem to be sprouting for the folks I sent them to, but very slowly.

I am watering mine daily (keeping them moist but not letting their feet stay in water) and nada yet. I was a bit late planting them though. I have faith. ;) (And if faith doesn't work I am singing to them, just in case.)