Cypress Mulch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhyno47

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hagerstown, MD
So I saw the Forrest Floor stuff at the pet store and the bags are too expensive and too small. The ones at the home improvement stores are cypress blend. Im confused.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I'm not familiar with "Forrest Floor" brand from a pet store but cypress blend materials from home centers usually contain cypress mulch along with lesser amounts of other types of wood products used as mulch such as pine, cedar and probably in some cases hardwoods.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I bought two bags of the forest floor the other night at Petco and it is around $9.00 a bag (not cheap). I plan on putting as much as I can near Dale's hide and that area around it and then I will just use the Home Depot stuff everywhere else. :) It just looks to me like it's shred much finer then Home Depot's stuff.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
They might have some smaller bags inside by where I usually buy the moss, but a lot of the time they are out of stuff.

Rhyno47

5 Year Member
Hagerstown, MD
I got a bag of the Cypress Mulch and it looks good. But it has something called Virgin Forest Products in it. Does anybody know what that is?

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Basically what they mean by "virgin forest products" is that the mulch contains only by-products from the tree itself such as bark, limbs, trunk, etc... Not already processed or recycled wood from lumber, crates, pallets or other similar materials.

In other words the mulch is probably cleaner and doesn't have any chance of containing ground up adhesives or finishes that would be used on already processed wood.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Not necessarily. It may contain other wood species in smaller amounts.

I only know any of this because I emailed my brother who is a landscaper! I'm better with wood before it gets chewed up and unrecognizable!

Rhyno47

5 Year Member
Hagerstown, MD
Ok well its ingrediants said it only has cypress and virgin forest products. So I think its safe. Thanks

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
Always google for petco or petsmart printable coupons before going and get a rewards card and it'll make things a little cheaper

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've been using hardware store stuff for almost twenty years. So far, I've never had any problem with it. You have to look around a bit, but I've always been able to find good stuff. With the size and amount of enclosures that I maintain, I'd go broke trying to use the pet store stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.