Toe/Claw Issue on Box Turtle

Adam G

Hello, I have a Three Toad Box Turtle and she seems to have an odd toe nail. There appears to be a second nail growing out of the same toe. It is only like this on this one foot. She also is missing about two nails/claws. I don't know if she was always like this because I just noticed it now. I have had her for about 4 years.

Thanks, any information would be appreciated.

(I posted this on another thread but decided I should post it here to)
IMG_1831.JPG IMG_1831.JPG IMG_1829.JPG

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Her nails need trimming. After getting them trimmed, place some flat rock for her to walk on and to eat off of. This will help to keep them filed down. Don't know what the extra nail is about, but I have a dog with an extra nail growing out of its front foot pads, each front foot. I just trim them like the other nails.

Adam G

Her nails need trimming. After getting them trimmed, place some flat rock for her to walk on and to eat off of. This will help to keep them filed down. Don't know what the extra nail is about, but I have a dog with an extra nail growing out of its front foot pads, each front foot. I just trim them like the other nails.
Thank you, are you suggesting I just clip the extra nail off?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No. Trim it if it needs trimming, just like you would trim a normal nail. Seeing it's very short I wouldn't do anything to it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, that extra toenail will bleed like crazy if you cut it off. I've never seen that before and have no idea why it happened. It's just starting to grow. If it bothers the turtle, a vet can deaden the foot and pull out the toenail, but I wouldn't try to do it myself.

Adam G

Thanks
No, that extra toenail will bleed like crazy if you cut it off. I've never seen that before and have no idea why it happened. It's just starting to grow. If it bothers the turtle, a vet can deaden the foot and pull out the toenail, but I wouldn't try to do it myself.
l