Curious about behavior with food

Reptilian Feline

Location (City and/or State)
Sweden
I'm new to tortoises, so I'm not sure if this is common or not, but yesterday my little leopard tort did the funniest thing with his food.

He had been given a soak and had pooped more than ever before (can they be constipated when they start to feed on fresh greens?). Then he wanted to go exploring the garden (djungle to him), so I poured out the water and put him back in the terracotta dish. He usually wants to eat after his bath, so I placed a teaspoon full of freshly and very finely chopped plantain, grass, dandelion and deadnettle leaves in front of him. After takeing a bite or two, he walked on top of the food, then ground his belly into it, took a bite more, then walked away. I collected the food, and moved the pile to be in front of him again (I had mixed in some vitamins in it as well, and I really wanted him to eat). He took a few bites more, then walked on top of it, plumped down and started to wrigle back and forth, his legs flat out to the sides like one of those dolls you hang on a wall and pull the cord so they move, except he did it diagonally. It looked so funny and so purpousful I couldn't help wonder if anyone else have seen this I know why he would do such a thing.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The sitting, laying or walking on the food is pretty normal. All my males do it, not so much my females. The little dance yours did. Well I haven't seen mine do that.
I do hope your feeding more then just a table spoon of food. Little ones need a lot of food. At least a pile as big as him twice a day. If he eats all of the morning feeding then add more to the evening feeding. If he doesn't eat it all, add a little less.

Reptilian Feline

Sweden
@wellington - I wish I knew how to get him to eat as much as he is supposed to. He doesn't, and that is a problem I am working on (see my other thread on it). I don't know what the breeder used to give him, and he hasn't answered my email about it either. I want him to eat his food, not just play with it.

This last batch I made for him is very very well chopped so that he can eat it easier. He can't bite of a strand of grass. Is there a commersial food made specially for baby leopard torts? The breeder mentioned that I should get some baby food, but never said what brand.

Martin - I'll try and tape it next time :)