I know lots people do.......

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
It's a popular method in the UK. The only thing I disagree with in the video is using a plastic bin. The plastic will sweat with respiration. Its better to use cardboard.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
It does work well in areas that are very wet in the winter, or where temps won't stay consistently low enough to maintain brumation.
(IF you choose to brumate your tortoises).

alan88k

5 Year Member
Will it not die in the fridge in such a low temp? plus how to ensure the tortoise is still alive in the box after inserted into fridge? what if the tortoise doesn't hibernate in the fridge? lack of oxygen can be fatal.

Out of curiousity..is that every type of tortoises has the hibernation ability?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You want your tortoise to hibernate in temperatures from about 40F to maybe 45F. A refrigerator is right around that temp. Any colder and your food would freeze. Most fridges are opened several times during the day, so oxygen exchange isn't a problem. Tortoises respirations are much slower during hibernation, and they don't take in too much oxygen.

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
It does seem crazy, doesn't it? My torts are in cardboard boxes in a non-working chest freezer cracked open with a screwdriver. I like it cause temps stay in the 40s, where my DTs need them to brumate, even on the warm, sunny days which are common where I live in LA.

Here's a pic of my setup:ImageUploadedByTortForum1387148860.284679.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Testudoresearch

I used that method with 100% success for over 10 years and hibernated several hundred animals in that way with zero loss. UK winters are very different from the consistently cold winters you get in parts of the US. They can be very wet, damp, and mild. Temperatures all over the place. Keeping temperatures down to safe levels is a huge problem. This method is also used widely in Scandinavia - where your choice may be between a centrally heated warm house, or -32C outside (-26F) with nothing in between. There is nothing crazy about it. It is based on sound principles and in many cases, is by far the safest option. It might sound odd... but it really is a safe and effective option in some localities.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Exactly. Thank you Testudoresearch. The temperature stays stable oliviaTORTOISE. But I understand your "gasp" at first, it seems cray-cray odd because we associate the fridge as food, and snacks, not tortoise nighty-night. For instance, with desert tortoises out here in California, our weather was 83F today. And last week it dipped to 36F. What? Teeter-totter. The tortoises need to stay between 40-50, ideally. If a tortoise is in brumation with an inexperienced new owner that just adopted it and does not know, that tortoise was colder than it should be last week, and is now warmer than it should be, brumating, but using its reserves because the warmer temps have kicked it in to gear. As Testudoresearch pointed out, it could go the other way in Scandinavia, and your tortoise could freeze. So stability in temps during brumation is key, as already noted, and the fridge can help do that. Who knew, right? : )

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Testudoresearch said:
I used that method with 100% success for over 10 years and hibernated several hundred animals in that way with zero loss.

Andy, did you experience the drying effects of the refrigerator being a negative, or did you do something to offset that?

Testudoresearch

Cowboy_Ken said:
Andy, did you experience the drying effects of the refrigerator being a negative, or did you do something to offset that?

It was not an issue in the particular locality where I was at the time as the ambient air humidity in the room was around 50% (and the refrigerators used have no freezer section or 'ice box' so do not remove moisture that way). We always had an electronic RH meter in there to check on things (plus two remote probe thermometers for security with low temp audible alarms), so in fact it was really quite stable.

In a very low ambient humidity room, it could be an issue, but I never experienced that myself. I do know some people in drier rooms add in a sponge in a tray of water within the unit and use other methods to maintain RH at suitable levels.

No method is 100% foolproof, and things can go wrong (power outages, for example), but personally - never had any kind of problem at all.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
My guess would be the newer, “frost-free" units would be the ones that have the dehydrating effects. With the big push for “green footprint", those older units are harder and harder to find here in the States.

Testudoresearch

Cowboy_Ken said:
My guess would be the newer, “frost-free" units would be the ones that have the dehydrating effects. With the big push for “green footprint", those older units are harder and harder to find here in the States.

We would always use (and recommend) a 'drinks chiller' type refrigerator rather than anything with any kind of freeze capability. In the latter case, if there is ever a thermostat failure, fatal freezing could occur. Hence - we never employed that kind.

oliviaTORTOISE

5 Year Member
Thanks so much!!! Is it okay not to hibernate a tortoise? Because this is my first year with her and I'm just keeping her awake? Thanks again! :)

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
It's fine to not hibernate,(brumation) your tortoise. Just maintain normal temps and lighting times, (12/12-11/13). This will help to discourage your tortoise from doing so on his own.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
oliviaTORTOISE said:
Thanks so much!!! Is it okay not to hibernate a tortoise? Because this is my first year with her and I'm just keeping her awake? Thanks again! :)

Oh yeah, fugetaboutit. I have read quite a few experts say that until you KNOW your tortoise, to be sure, best to keep the lights on and the temps going and try to do pretend spring-summer through the winter. Since you just got her and do not really know her, her quirks, her possible ills, hopefully there are none, best to be safe than very sad. : )

Testudoresearch

Just to agree on this. If you are not sure, and it is a new animal, it is safer not to.

Long term... well... there can be negative consequences. Hormone cycles.... continued feeding/growth related.... however, short term it is probably best to "play safe" and get her well established first.