Crazy hibernation method

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
I think some tortoises are especially sensitive to day length, and can detect it even if they are inside.

For those tortoises, even a 6 week brumation can really help jump start their appetite in Spring. If you live in an area that is too unstable outside (warm/cold/wet) to do this, then a fridge works well. I have used a small wine cooler (built in digital thermostat), which I love, because you can wind them down gradually by adjusting the temp down.

Just my experience, and it has worked very well for me.

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
lynnedit said:
I think some tortoises are especially sensitive to day length, and can detect it even if they are inside.

For those tortoises, even a 6 week brumation can really help jump start their appetite in Spring. If you live in an area that is too unstable outside (warm/cold/wet) to do this, then a fridge works well. I have used a small wine cooler (built in digital thermostat), which I love, because you can wind them down gradually by adjusting the temp down.

Just my experience, and it has worked very well for me.

Would you recommend 6 weeks in the fall or right before spring? I am guessing the spring. I like the wine cooler idea. I have never done a brumation. Maybe next winter a 6 week for a first time sounds less stressful for tortoise mom.

ps. I love the the big smile by the new addition :tort:

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
'Russian Tortoises in Captivity' by Jerry Fife has a good description. He also mentions a wine cooler; no freezer.
If I did it for 6 weeks, I would wait until January if possible, so when they wake up, you start getting some fresh weeds to feed them.

And I tend to brumate tortoises that wind themselves down.
Not everyone has to, if your tortoise happily over winters.
If you choose not to, get your new UV bulb in the Fall so it is fresh for the winter.

phebe121

I dont think i could ever do that to my torts seams so wrong it may not be but to me it is this is my first year with mine and im keeping them up no way would i do this iv only had them about 40 ish days

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
I'll admit I didn't watch it do I don't know if this was mentioned: some people recommend taping a pencil to the refrigerator gasket to get a little air exchange.

My crew takes a rest during the darkest part of the year, sleeping a lot and eating less. That's also the time I withhold water from plants. Everything perks up as the light returns.

THBfriend

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
some people recommend taping a pencil to the refrigerator gasket to get a little air exchange.
I wouldn't recommend that. You don't need to compromise the insulation of your fridge, you're supposed to open the fridge door for a minute or so, every couple of days.

My young Hermann's tortoises hibernate in a fridge, too. For the same duration they use in their natural habitat, about 21 weeks. Even hatchlings. That might seem like a long time, but it's absolutely no problem when done properly. Novices should start with a shorter period like 6-8 weeks until they've gathered enough experience.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
I wouldn't recommend that. You don't need to compromise the insulation of your fridge, you're supposed to open the fridge door for a minute or so, every couple of days.

Breaking the seal with a pencil accomplished the same thing as opening the door. It doesn't permanently damage the gasket, I think. For anyone who might be inclined to forget to open the door regularly, it might be an option.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I use the hollow body of an emptied out pen for this. I like the rigidity of the tube and that small amount of airflow has worked well for me. I don't typically open the door for weeks at a time in the middle of hibernation. I just watch the inside temps from the outside on my remote probed thermometers.