Couple of redfoot questions

Location (City and/or State)
Venice, Florida
Hello, just had our first night with our new red foot!

The night temp was about 73 degrees, with a 90-95 basking area from a ceramic night heat lamp. Humidity stayed at around 80%.

Is that temp OK at night? During the day the temp in the cool area is about 75.

Also when it comes to eating, do you normally feed them once a day and take old food out after a couple hours or just leave it in and replace with the new food the next day?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Most likely too cold for that high of humidity. At least for most torts, we don't like the temos lower then 80. Cold and wet makes a sick tort. However, @Benjamin might be able to help you better then me.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I personally don't let it drop below 80. I feed my tortoise daily and take out her food once she's done and walked away.

Venice, Florida
Any ideas on how to keep it 80+?

We have the tort in a big plastic tote in our room, we do not have a garage. Our house temp stays around 75. Like said we have lights (UVA/B heat and night ceramic heat). We have a pretty wet and humid area under one end of the tank, the middle is somewhat moist and the opposite end is more dry and where he tends to sleep.

kdub

Clearwater, FL
Keep your CHE above the area where he sleeps so you know he'll be warm at night. even if the other end drops a few degrees at least you'll know his sleeping area is warm

ZZZ
:tort:

Turtlepete

South Florida
As long as the tortoise isn't a recent hatchling, that temperature would be fine regardless..

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
What do you use to measure temps? Acu-rite models with probes (something like this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0013BKDO8/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20) are pretty decent with reading temps and humidity. A temp gun is also great to have in addition for instant spot checks.

If your new redfoot is a youngin' (under 1 year), I would suggest what everyone else says with temps *always* being above 80F. The first year is crucial to have all environmental factors on the safe side. After that, you can choose to stay that way or slack off like I did :D

Oh, and if you need it to be warmer, the only suggestion I can give you (if you don't have the setup closed off) is to add another heat source.

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
Thats great your in FL. No problems keeping up the humidity for your little guy.
I feed my Sheldon in the morning, I put on the lights, his little head pops out of his favorite corner. After he warms up a bit, he eats part of his food. Maybe he will eat the veggie or fruit and leave the greens. I leave it & he will return to eat the greens. In the evening I give him a soak & then a snack & after he's finished he puts himself to bed.