Could I house two young RF's and a baby Cherry Head in same outdoor enclosure?

omarnegron

Location (City and/or State)
Puerto Rico, USA
Hi everyone!

I have two young redfoots (4years old) and a baby cherry head is coming. I would like to know if they can share the same outdoor enclosure. I lived in a tropical island in the Caribbean, so we don't have any trouble with temperatures, humidity and predators. I'll appreciate your advise. Thanks!

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
How much outdoor space do you have? Are the torts similar in size? If they came from different sources have they been properly quarantined?
My 6 redfoots have a very large yard that they share in the summer. There are several hiding spots and feeding stations and plenty of room for them to get away from each other.

omarnegron

Puerto Rico, USA
How much outdoor space do you have? Are the torts similar in size? If they came from different sources have they been properly quarantined?
My 6 redfoots have a very large yard that they share in the summer. There are several hiding spots and feeding stations and plenty of room for them to get away from each other.

The space is 12x8. Redfoots are similar in size (6 inches) but the Cherry Head is a baby and came from a different source. My plan is to keep the Cherry Head in an indoor enclosure for few months but later I would like to move it to the outdoor space.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I wouldn't keep the RFs as a pair, and I would not put a baby in with 4 year olds.

I think you should separate the 4 year olds, or get one or two more of that size, and I think the baby needs his own enclosures.

Gbear

5 Year Member
Hey Tom, can you please clarify why you would separate the two 4 year olds or add 1 or 2 others of the same size?

I wouldn't keep the RFs as a pair, and I would not put a baby in with 4 year olds.

I think you should separate the 4 year olds, or get one or two more of that size, and I think the baby needs his own enclosures.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey Tom, can you please clarify why you would separate the two 4 year olds or add 1 or 2 others of the same size?

Tortoises should not be kept in pairs. Its not good for them. They don't want or need companionship, and they would prefer the interloper leave their territory. There is always a dominant and submissive and it is stressful for both of them when the submissive won't leave the territory of the dominant.

Group dynamics are different. It usually works, especially with red foots.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I also only keep Redfoot of similar size together.
Much smaller tortoises often get trampled on, slept on top of and flipped over, etc.
I keep 7 of them together.

GGboy17

New Jersey
That's a large age difference...I wouldn't put the Cherry Head in because he's so small compared to the Redfoots. :tort::):tort: