could anybody tell me the difference between turtles and tortoise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyinghome

5 Year Member
I am a little 'shamed' that I still dont know the difference between a turtle and a tortoise. Could anyone tell me?

Thank you.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
The most obvious difference is the leg structure. A torts legs are pillar like and held more vertically to support weight on land. A turtle has legs more horizontally oriented and are usually webbed for a more aquatic life.

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
A very simple way I taught my 5 year old, (which doesnt apply to all turtles but most)

Turtles can swim (or require lots of water)
Tortoise can not

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
For the most part, tortoises are terrestrial while turtles are aquatic. There are some small exceptions to that rule. Box turtles live mostly on land, for instance, and some forest tortoises love water... But generally that is correct.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
HI, someone (Maggie, maybe????) gave a wonderful picture with her hands of what the difference was visually. Come on!! Find that thread....
(If it wasn't Maggie, I'm sorry to who it was!!But it was GREAT)
Na

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
While I'm not sure this applies to all species, I tell people generally when turtles walk they drag the bottom of their shells on the ground. When a tortoise walks, it lifts its shell off the ground.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It really depends upon where in the world you live. For instance, in Australia, their water turtles are called "tortoise" by the Aussies.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Cool thread! I have been struggling with those definitions all year when I talk to my students about the differences between tortoises and turtles. :p

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Prepare for a long-winded post...

All shelled reptiles are called TURTLES or CHELONIANS (kell-OWE-knee-anz).

Chelonians in the Family 'Testudinidea' are called the true TORTOISES. Tortoises are identified by elephant-like limbs with no visible toes and usually strong, domed shells (the Pancake Tortoise is an exception). They live, hunt, eat, and mate on land.

Chelonians in the Superfamily 'Chelonioidea' are called SEA TURTLES and are identified by streamlined bodies with paddle-like limbs. They live in the oceans and usually come on land only to lay eggs.

OK, that much is pure science- now, lets look at how the terms are commonly used.

In the US:
- Tortoise is used as above.
- Terrapin is either the the salt-march dwelling Diamond-back Terrapin, or a southern slang term for turtles used in soups and stews.
- Turtle is used for fresh water turtles and the Box Turtles.

In Europe, they go by behavior:
- Tortoise is used for land-dwelling chelonians- true tortoises and American Box Turtles.
- Terrapin is used for the semi-aquatic turtles, what we sometimes call Pond or Basking Turtles.
- Turtle is used for mostly aquatic turtles.

In Australia, they use mostly the European versions, but also use 'tortoise' for many native fresh-water turtles.

If it was up to me, we would use:
- Tortoise for true tortoises,
- Land Turtle for mostly dry land non-tortoise species (American Box, Wood Turtle, etc.),
- Basking Turtle for fresh water semi-aquatic species,
- Terrapin or Marsh Turtle for brackish marsh species,
- Water Turtle for fresh water aquatic species, and
- Sea Turtle for salt water aquatic species.

OK, there are more terms, but each term is unique and almost instantly describes their primary habitat, and thus their main care needs.

Just to show an interesting bit- the American Box Turtle is called a turtle, but lives/eats/mates on land like a tortoise, and the Genus name is 'Terrapena' which sounds like 'terrapin'.

M

Maggie Cummings

Nay said:
HI, someone (Maggie, maybe????) gave a wonderful picture with her hands of what the difference was visually. Come on!! Find that thread....
(If it wasn't Maggie, I'm sorry to who it was!!But it was GREAT)
Na

Woo hoo! I appreciate the thought that I was that good, but I only have one working hand, so it wasn't me...but thanks!:)

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
No One remembers??? It was a hand that was in a fist, and that was a tortoise and the hand kinda opened>>>> Oh well I will look tonight..
Na

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I remember I just don't remember who did it.

Status
Not open for further replies.