Cop Saves Sea Turtles in Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.

IBeenEasy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
THATS AWESOME...SEA TURTLES HAVE TO BE THE MOST BEAUTIFUL AND PEACEFUL ANIMALS ON THIS PLANET

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I know this was a good thing, however, it made me very sad for the turtles. What if people hadn't intervened. Poor little things.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
A big GREAT JOB for the cop. Yvonne, I am not the biggest fan of the human race, we ruin everything. However, I do think that in times like this, most people do the right thing for the animals, fortunately. What I worry about with these little ones is how far off their radar for water was:(. Even though they were let go in the Gulf, do they know what to do now.

sunshine_hugs

5 Year Member
A lot of the time we are the reason the hatchlings get turned around and need to be saved.

When I was working at a popular beach bar on a different Caribbean island, we had a nest hatch one night during a big party. This was a shock, as turtles hadn't nested on that beach for quite a few years. The hatchlings started coming inland instead of heading out to sea...they were heading towards the lights of our beach bar.
We ended up calling the "turtle taggers" (that's what we called them, I can't remember the name of the group), who rushed out to help. We shut down the bar, turned off all the lights, but still had to guide some hatchlings back to the right direction.

If it weren't for us being there, the lights that they thought were the moon, I'm sure they would have figured it out on their own.

It was an amazing experience, but sad at the same time.

So yes, this officer did a wonderful thing by saving them, but it's too bad they were in the situation where they needed to be saved...heading towards the lights.

Mdemik

5 Year Member
I've had this opportunity a few times here in southern Arizona. I sometimes encounter Sonoran tortoises on highway and even several encounters with the very rarely seen Gila monsters.

I just hate to see any of these guys get squished on the road

Status
Not open for further replies.