Concerned Leopard Behavior changes

Leothetort*2021

Location (City and/or State)
KENTUCKY
First I apologize this is long but I waited and researched to the best of my ability before I jumped on here. I just don't know what to do here.

Species: Leopard Tortoise
Todays Weight as of Sept 27 2023 8 lbs 5 oz. Shell: Length: head to bottom: 10 inches, Height: 6.25
Present Care Soak about: 30. minutes currently 2-3 week

Living quarters from day one I followed Toms directions : Closed chamber, with CHE heat emitter 75w, day white light , Basking lamp 90-100 degrees F, 2 hides, Repti bark,

Zoo Med ReptiSun T5 HO Terrarium Hood, 30" L. and lamp, mister, soaking water bowl, grow my own food and use Mazuri moistened. One end of chamber 80-85 F: basking 90-100F . All aspects were on correct timers per care sheet.

Since day one March 2021 to 2022; He has had 2 different closed chambers. Both custom built and size varied as he grew of course

As he grew in March 2022 We customized a closed chamber: Photos attached. Basically all the same but added a medical grade humidifier.
Chamber was a 260 gallon tank converted and secured all sides so he could. not see out. HE did great during the time in that chamber. Ate well, drank, basked, etc. He never was really active but gained weigh didn't worry. Seemed healthy.

Now to my concerns or worry:
He out grew the last chamber so I converted Now in a open 1/2 of a bedroom 14' x12' into the torts room. PHOTOS attached as well.
Current set up; Converted a Med. size plastic dog house
All basically the same for as equipment as you can see in photos, but I put the CHE 75W has been installed in the doghouse, there is a day LED strip light to mimic day light, sensor for temperature. Opening has a clear plastic walk in door strips to keep heat in.
Temp inside of the doghouse:
Back corners of Doghouse where he stays: 81-85 F , opposite side of house: close to same temp, In the middle of house which where the CHE is 90-91F, front of the house is 81F
Humidity: 70%

OUTSIDE of the hide (doghouse) is as seen, I added extra basking lamp in 2 areas, 16" water bowl and a 12" feeding bowl,.
Everything still on the timer on Toms care sheet suggestion.
Room temp: 75F, humidity 57-60 %

NOW the problem I'm having. As stated he is gaining weight, eyes clear,

He will not come out of hide to eat or bask? He stays all buried in the substrate until I physically get him out around 7-8 pm. He is warm to touch. Alert and heavy LOL. When I get him out he will eat like there is no tomorrow. He may or. may not walk around but usually goes right back in his comfy house. Also he NEVER pees or poops in his house nor on the room. Trust me I check daily and around the floor. See photos of his area.

When I soak him he pees sometimes several times. His pee looks to me a light brown color no white like my hermans torts do. Sometimes he will poop in water and its normal, formed, green and ALOT, but what I do see is a oily substance floating not alot, but I notice it. and it is NOT every bath. Just mentioning it.

Once he has his soak he eats again alot. Like normal. Appears normal.
I'm just concerned he is eating at night..Not like he use to in his closed chamber. He came out in the morning, ate, moved around a little not much and back to the hide.

It is like he has his days and nights messed up. IS this possible? or just his personality and normal for him?

The change from closed chamber has been at least few months now. I did recently up the temps inside the doghouse and added the day light but no difference in his behavior.

Food: Dandelions, mixed dark greens, lettuce, rose of sharon flowers/leaves, hosta leaves, and mazuri .

I'm I worrying for nothing let him be and just physically get him out each night or will he eventually get use to his big new surroundings?

Sorry again so long but I am at my wits ends. Wisdom much appreciated. Thanks in advance Kathy

1st photos his photo and the last chamber he was in. Last 3 photos set of photos is our current set up.

Attachments

• IMG_6898.JPG
    IMG_6898.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5551.JPG
    IMG_5551.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 4
  • 66397263521__4D25D50C-C45D-4FD0-A0A9-E5F5C9E1A26E.JPG
    66397263521__4D25D50C-C45D-4FD0-A0A9-E5F5C9E1A26E.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3205 2.jpeg
    IMG_3205 2.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3874.jpeg
    IMG_3874.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3730 2.JPG
    IMG_3730 2.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 4

Megatron's Mom

North Little Rock, Arkansas
He's beautiful.

First let me say I'm no expert, but I'm thinking the room is still too cold. He needs 80 minimum, could be why he likes to stay in the dog house.

Have you check what the floor temperature is reading? I know my floors get pretty darn cold and heck it is still 75-80s outside and I have my socks on.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My guess is too dim, too cool, and too dry.

Humidifiers should never be blowing directly into tortoise enclosures and misters shouldn't be needed for closed chambers, but that's in the past now.

Try warming the room temp back up to what the loser chambers were kept at, and add some LEDs around the enclosure to make it look bright and "sunny".

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree with Tom. They should not be in colder than 80. I also would not make the hide so warm. It only needs to be 80 and humid, being hotter and with a che, he will just keep pyramiding.
If that is fake grass, stop using it and use real substrate, not the fake grass. Also does need to be brighter.

Reactions: Tom

Leothetort*2021

KENTUCKY
Thanks all for your responses
RE: light. PHotos really do not show how bright. The room has 4 large (75W) LED bright lights plus 2 windows
RE: Humidifier: This humidifer I have been using is not a regular humidifier. It is an Airvo2 which we use on our trach patients. It has controls for the humid and warm conditions which I regulate the conditions. I used it the closed chamber from day one it worked perfectly IMO. Now I have it in the top of the doghouse hide. which is pretty big. (med size/large) It is warm/and humid in that hide. BUT I will lower the temp even though it has many ranges inside of the hide.

The che is in that doghouse I can lower the watts also.

Substrate in 6" in the doghouse and I have it also in the surrounding areas of the floor. He really doesn't bother the grass but hey he hardly ever walks on it. LOL.

I did test the floor temp. It varies but average is around 70 but like I said he doesn't really go on the grass but I may put a heat lamp over some of the area to encourage more activity

Room Temp check: stays around 70 but I will add another heat source and maybe a oil filter heater for the room. Unfortunately the room is larger with vaulted style ceiling so I have reversed celing fans to push heat off the ceiling plus add some heat here soon.

Light: I did add white strip LED lighting inside the hide and like I said the outside room is pretty bright with the windows and the 4 Led lamps in the ceiling.

I mainly was concerned again regarding the change in the eating/coming out behavior from the closed environment to the bedroom environment. He is growing fast and trying to keep up with that. Closed situation not sure how I would do that with him at this point unless maybe I get a plastic dome to cover the entire area he is in? IDK.

I just not sure about why he is eating at night and not like he use to in the morning. and no bathroom habits unless he is soaked.

I sit out his food in the morning as usual but I have to get him out of that hide for him to eat which he does without any problem.

I will take the suggestion about lowering the heat inside the hide again , but I had it set for 80-84 at first and I read another blog to raise the temp so i tried that thinking he was just to cold inside there. BUT even making that change to 86-88F didn't matter.

Megatron's Mom

You can get a pop up greenhouse they can come in different sizes and not very tall. Put that right over the space you have and it will help keep the humidity up and the heat in. He's probably not eating because he needs it much warmer and a basking spot from 95-100 to help digest his food.

Leothetort*2021

KENTUCKY
Thank you Megatron's Mom :) He has 2 different basking areas that are 90-100, he has all the correct equipment just the biggest is since we moved him few months ago he is acting differently. But I may look into a greenhouse tent or a big heater for the entire room and keep door shut. Thanks for the input. Love your torty by the way!!!

Megatron's Mom

Thank you Megatron's Mom :) He has 2 different basking areas that are 90-100, he has all the correct equipment just the biggest is since we moved him few months ago he is acting differently. But I may look into a greenhouse tent or a big heater for the entire room and keep door shut. Thanks for the input. Love your torty by the way!!!
You're welcome and Thank you.
I have a greenhouse for my babies and was surprised how great it works.