Commercial mixed greens in Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orko

5 Year Member
Hi,

I was wondering which kind of mixed greens you buy and where in a local supermarket here in Florida

Thanks

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
for tortoises, greens like endive, escarole, radicchio, spring mix, red leaf lettuce, green leaf lettuce, romaine lettuce, collard greens, and kale are some good choices as part of a varied diet.

HLogic

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
Any of the major chain stores carry a selection, some wider than others, of greens that can be used (as Peter mentioned above). Farmers' Markets are another great source of vegetables and sometimes greens. Another possibility, depending upon where you are in FL, is to locate a grower. I have found one that grows collards, turnip, mustard, leaf lettuces, romaine, chickory, dandelion, tomatoes, squash, pumpkin, watermelon, canteloupe, beans, various flowers, etc. I lay siege to his seconds (cosmetically unappealing) about once per week and get a great deal - he gets to sell items that wouldn't sell at a market or clients wouldn't want and I get food for my torts and even some for me.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Check out Publix and Winn-Dixie...they should carry EVERYTHING you need!

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
The thing is...and I used to harp on this a lot...Spring Mix contains a lot of lettuces...not that they're bad for the torts (as we've all come to learn in recent months, but if your market carries Ready-Pac brand then they probably carry Santa Barbara Mix. The great thing about SB Mix is that it contains Endive, Escarole and Radicchio...and no lettuces at all! Just food for thought;)

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Spring mix, and Santa Barbra Mix Is Great! Along With cactus, Kale, Collard Greens!

lucas339

5 Year Member
i don't have any luck at my publix or win dixie. they rarely carry the greens i want. i do have luck with wal mart but i hate that place with a passion!!

just saw you said commercial....why not buy the greens and cut them yourself?? thats what i do.

Orko

5 Year Member
lucas339 said:
just saw you said commercial....why not buy the greens and cut them yourself?? thats what i do.

You are right, I was thinking on a special brand in case of emergency...When you prepare it yourself which kind of "washing procedure" you use to be sure of getting rid of pesticide etc.?

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
DeanS said:
The thing is...and I used to harp on this a lot...Spring Mix contains a lot of lettuces...not that they're bad for the torts (as we've all come to learn in recent months, but if your market carries Ready-Pac brand then they probably carry Santa Barbara Mix. The great thing about SB Mix is that it contains Endive, Escarole and Radicchio...and no lettuces at all! Just food for thought;)

The problem with SB...it's expensive down here! haha

Smart and Final is the only place that has it and it's close to $6 for the same size that you get Spring Mix...I agree it includes a lot better stuff. But, It's also cheaper for me to buy greens separately or...spring mix every other week or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.