COLD DARK ROOM

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Palm Bay Fl
Good afternoon/morning all,
Not a bad day today but quite cold and blustery which has given me no end of entertainment with the windmills. Every now and then a pair of hands would appear at the top of the fence and the untangling of ribbons would begin. Looks like a pair of glove puppets in the nude! ;)
The funniest bit was when we had a particularly strong gust and 3 of the windmills fell over at the same time!🤣. They have spent a lot of time today trying to right them again but thankfully most of my usual birds still fly through them.
I normally don't like the strong winds but all I can say is Thank You God! Now all I need is a lightning bolt to find all that shiny foil.
I hope you're all having a good Sunday!
Do they have foil windmills or other types of crap attached to the fence?
If so, who's fence does it belong to?

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Granddaughter Evelynn with Coach Dad.
Evelynn had a tournament this weekend.
4 games sat. Wins 3 Losses 1
4 games sunday Wins 4 Losses 0.
So they came in 1st place for the division: 12 & under, fast pitch softball.
It is a traveling league, so they play in Michigan and surrounding states. At the end of July they will be in West Virginia. IMG_6968.jpg

COmtnLady

Colorado
I live near a shop that hand-makes its own ice cream and candies. While they aren't nice big barrels like those blue ones, they do have a lot of 5-gallon and 3-gallon food grade buckets that they put out free-for-the-taking, about every two or three months. Most of the time they have lids with them, too.

They're great to store bulk flour, beans, rice, or whatever in, plus they do all the stuff the ones Home Depot charges $4-5 each for that aren't "food safe". I use them to hold fish while I do aquarium changes, as plant stands to get the plants up higher in the window (I'm not fashion conscious, could you tell?), and all sorts of cleaning (though I don't use those buckets for live critters once they've had soap in them). They're great to drop a block of coco coir into water in and let it fluff up, My daughter-in-law likes to "brine" her turkeys at Thanksgiving, and these are perfect for that. I've even used them for "container gardening", they're big enough to keep tomato plants happy.

Just mentioning because if you need a higher quality bucket, see if you can find a place that makes their own Ice cream (they get frozen strawberries, and all sorts of other ingredients in these buckets) and check with them for ones they are done with Some restaurants get bulk food-things, too - but with them you have to be careful it didn't get something greasy put into it, or that they didn't use it with industrial strength cleaners to wash their floors, etc....

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
It is a traveling league, so they play in Michigan and surrounding states. At the end of July they will be in West Virginia. View attachment 369812
That's great congratulations to her and her team. Is it an all female or mixed team? Women's sport in football and rugby really taken off here in the last few years.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Dear Lyn,

I'm sorry you are having trouble with your neighbours I also live on my own and I have had to ask my neighbours in the flat above to be a bit quieter but at least we are polite with each other. Anyway when I was a child and we moved house in Malaysia the neighbour opposite came to visit and let her sons walk all the house and handle everything. Mum had to intervene when they fingered a breakable and the neighbour was irritated. From then on if her son's came to play she would call them back, when my youngest brother had his bike repaired they bought some bikes, when my other brother and I were given bigger bikes theirs were repaired, they even copied our taste in music. When my bike was repaired and the back light was working mother and sons stood on the balcony and you should have seen their faces. Also when a bush fire started nearby her sons were allowed to go and watch it instead of going to play with the neighbours!!!

Natrah
Sounds like what we call 'keeping up with the Joneses' 😀.
I have some lovely neighbours in my street, but these immediately next door are the worse you could wish for.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Those are CHEAP barrels. I might have to get a few, just because! I still have 3 steel ones left that I will take to the Nook. They plastic ones make GREAT rain catches because they never rust or rot!

I moved my barrels when I pressure washed the shed Saturday and found a small Garter snake underneath. It was 55F out and he wasn't moving too fast so I relocated him to the front gardens while I used the pressure washer.
Kerry mowed the back yard and we loaded both trucks then came over here to the Nook for Sunday. I needed to spend some time here......kinds to remind me what the goal is. It is so peaceful. When we got here Saturday evening I walked around the house and found 2 deer in the back yard waiting for me. Matilda spent the day outside too....beautiful day!

We found a place called Unicorn Lake so on the map so we tossed the scooters into the truck yesterday and went off to find it. Don't usually see mud and Red bellies basking together!
20240428_162138.jpg
20240428_162331_HDR.jpg
I'm leaving the Nook and driving to my house this morning. My buddy is coming out to check & start my new AC unit. I am nervous though, I don't have high degree of confidence in my brazed pipe joints. It's been 35 yrs since I brazed....LOL.

If the AC system doesn't explode when we energize it, I will be donning my "Electrician" hat for a couple days. Always a good time when jeff the plumber, does electricity!

You ever hear that saying "A little bit of knowledge is dangerous"? That's me & electricity

Very dangerous.....

Bad Neighbors.....I feel bad for you Lyn...you don't deserve their targeting. Like Ray, I tend to "go big or go home".....but I admit to never retaliating against my drunk neighbor who managed to bring out the worst in me, a year or so ago. My knowledge of chemistry and the fact that he has a pool that he puts chlorine into....he's fortunate that I have turned over a new leaf. I know what I COULD do but he is a 70 some year old man who begins drinking in the mornings...his life ain't that grand, I don't need to do a thing to make his life worse, do I?
Sometimes we can get past our perceived indignations by looking at the bigger picture. You have folks that care about you, family, hobbies and your little tort.....

They seem to have anger, hate, and manipulation.....let it go!

Chubbs the tegu

5 Year Member
Ma
It is a traveling league, so they play in Michigan and surrounding states. At the end of July they will be in West Virginia. View attachment 369812
Thats awesome! I miss those days! My daughter played travel and ill tell u that it sucked having no free time on weekends all summer but was fun at the same time. Lot of shin bruises catching for her during practices 🤦🏻‍♂️

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Thats awesome! I miss those days! My daughter played travel and ill tell u that it sucked having no free time on weekends all summer but was fun at the same time. Lot of shin bruises catching for her during practices 🤦🏻‍♂️
That's for sure no free time. One of my other sons did the traveling ball with my 2 oldest granddaughters. From 8yrs old to 16 yrs old. Plus he had a indoor facility with batting cages and area for pitching. So he was always busy. They are in their 20's now. So it has been a few years since he was involved. Now my son with the younger daughters. Has inherited all the equipment from his brother. He set it up in a pole barn on his property. So the cycle continues.

Chubbs the tegu

5 Year Member
Ma
That's for sure no free time. One of my other sons did the traveling ball with my 2 oldest granddaughters. From 8yrs old to 16 yrs old. Plus he had a indoor facility with batting cages and area for pitching. So he was always busy. They are in their 20's now. So it has been a few years since he was involved. Now my son with the younger daughters. Has inherited all the equipment from his brother. He set it up in a pole barn on his property. So the cycle continues.
Yeah my daughter now coaches travel.. i feel old af haha

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Those are CHEAP barrels. I might have to get a few, just because! I still have 3 steel ones left that I will take to the Nook. They plastic ones make GREAT rain catches because they never rust or rot!

I moved my barrels when I pressure washed the shed Saturday and found a small Garter snake underneath. It was 55F out and he wasn't moving too fast so I relocated him to the front gardens while I used the pressure washer.
Kerry mowed the back yard and we loaded both trucks then came over here to the Nook for Sunday. I needed to spend some time here......kinds to remind me what the goal is. It is so peaceful. When we got here Saturday evening I walked around the house and found 2 deer in the back yard waiting for me. Matilda spent the day outside too....beautiful day!

We found a place called Unicorn Lake so on the map so we tossed the scooters into the truck yesterday and went off to find it. Don't usually see mud and Red bellies basking together!
View attachment 369818
View attachment 369819
I'm leaving the Nook and driving to my house this morning. My buddy is coming out to check & start my new AC unit. I am nervous though, I don't have high degree of confidence in my brazed pipe joints. It's been 35 yrs since I brazed....LOL.

If the AC system doesn't explode when we energize it, I will be donning my "Electrician" hat for a couple days. Always a good time when jeff the plumber, does electricity!

You ever hear that saying "A little bit of knowledge is dangerous"? That's me & electricity

Very dangerous.....

Bad Neighbors.....I feel bad for you Lyn...you don't deserve their targeting. Like Ray, I tend to "go big or go home".....but I admit to never retaliating against my drunk neighbor who managed to bring out the worst in me, a year or so ago. My knowledge of chemistry and the fact that he has a pool that he puts chlorine into....he's fortunate that I have turned over a new leaf. I know what I COULD do but he is a 70 some year old man who begins drinking in the mornings...his life ain't that grand, I don't need to do a thing to make his life worse, do I?
Sometimes we can get past our perceived indignations by looking at the bigger picture. You have folks that care about you, family, hobbies and your little tort.....

They seem to have anger, hate, and manipulation.....let it go!
I always love it when I get to interact with wildlife. It makes me forget the dumb stuff immediately. I'm so glad you got to.🤗

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
My youngest son now plays baseball and soccer. Had a game yesterday 430-6 and then had to rush to Gillette stadium cause he had to see Lionel Messi play.. that traffic was worse than a Pats game at Gillette
Whatever... good thing you have more energy than me. 😉😊 It's bad enough doing a puppy in the terrible two's. I can't imagine trying to keep up with a little leaguer 😜

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
You guys make me feel old. I coached Club ball and Travel team. I think it's fantastic you guys get your kids involved! I am moving so I recently took down the WALL OF FAME with all the trophies, balls signed by teams of 9 yr olds, remembering the kids and places we played. Yeah guys, there's no downside to this, none at all!

The lifestyle was...
Hi-five your wife as you pass each other on the w/e's!

I loved it though and coached some 55 different teams over 12 yrs, then came back for a three yr encore when my youngest came of age.

We had a couple of kids that went on to the Majors...Mark Teixeria was pretty good, Gavin Floyd played in our league. We even had Pat Sajak's kid on one of the teams we played. The poor kid was chauffeured to the practices and games.."Dad" never showed but once. Same with Steve Biscotti's(Ravens owner) kids I coached both before he sent them off to year round boarding school. What a "Dad" huh? These guys love the limelight so much, there's no room for anyone else.

Pretty sad to me....speaking of sad. I had TWO leaks out of 9 joints in my AC system. I also was supposed to connect the Red & white for the tstat and for some reason I had connected the green and white....and we wondered why it didn't come on, for 45 minutes as we dove into it. I felt like a plebe. It's all good now though and Bobby didn't bust my chops too bad...and it's 71F inside and 95F+ outside!

My lizard friend was out today so I gave him chicken....tiny pieces. I didn't see him eat it but it's gone now!

I also have two hummers here already....I hooked them up with some superman nectar!

Chubbs the tegu

5 Year Member
Ma
You guys make me feel old. I coached Club ball and Travel team. I think it's fantastic you guys get your kids involved! I am moving so I recently took down the WALL OF FAME with all the trophies, balls signed by teams of 9 yr olds, remembering the kids and places we played. Yeah guys, there's no downside to this, none at all!

The lifestyle was...
Hi-five your wife as you pass each other on the w/e's!

I loved it though and coached some 55 different teams over 12 yrs, then came back for a three yr encore when my youngest came of age.

We had a couple of kids that went on to the Majors...Mark Teixeria was pretty good, Gavin Floyd played in our league. We even had Pat Sajak's kid on one of the teams we played. The poor kid was chauffeured to the practices and games.."Dad" never showed but once. Same with Steve Biscotti's(Ravens owner) kids I coached both before he sent them off to year round boarding school. What a "Dad" huh? These guys love the limelight so much, there's no room for anyone else.

Pretty sad to me....speaking of sad. I had TWO leaks out of 9 joints in my AC system. I also was supposed to connect the Red & white for the tstat and for some reason I had connected the green and white....and we wondered why it didn't come on, for 45 minutes as we dove into it. I felt like a plebe. It's all good now though and Bobby didn't bust my chops too bad...and it's 71F inside and 95F+ outside!

My lizard friend was out today so I gave him chicken....tiny pieces. I didn't see him eat it but it's gone now!

I also have two hummers here already....I hooked them up with some superman nectar!
Damn novels! Took like 22 min out of my drinking time hahhaa I know you can consolidate that a bit better! Cheese and rice!