COLD DARK ROOM

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Daughter’s project from the science festival (she was presenting igneous rocks):

View attachment 252812

The prince didn’t stop by her stand. She was enormously disappointed. But she dried up her tears and, with a determined, stern look on her face, said, “I’m going to talk to that prince. Mom, you come with me.”

And she headed off, through the crowd surrounding the prince in another part of the gym. Her friend begged her not to do it, but she just kept going.

Unfortunately (or otherwise), there were too many people around him, and although some of them noticed this determined little girl heading toward him, the prince himself doesn’t make any eye contact anyone, unless he is speaking with them. He looks ahead, above the crowd, and heads out of the gym to his next appointment.

Surprisingly, this did satisfy my child. She was cool and happy for the rest of the time. When I asked her later what she was going to say to the prince, she said she couldn’t remember.

View attachment 252813

Happy weekend, everyone! I’ll be away working most of the next seven days or so.
Never mind I'm sure one day she'll have a handsome prince charming of her own!
Have a good weekend, Lena, and don't work too hard next week!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good morning all.

We are heading into London this morning. A few weeks ago we were supposed to visit the Queen's Gallery at Westminster Abbey, but the whole area got closed down due to an incident outside the Houses of Parliament which is the other side of the road. Our tickets were rebooked for today by the Abbey. :)
Have a lovely, incident free day Linda.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good morning/afternoon all.
It's a chilly, but bright and sunny autumn day here so I think a walk may be on the cards later after I've done some catching up with chores.
Hope you all have a good Saturday whatever you are up to today.

Last edited:

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good afternoon @Lyn W hope u are ok :)
Hi Laura I'm fine thanks and Lola has just surfaced from his hide looking for his dandies and plantains.
I saw your post about the chicory earlier...I buy Florette Classic Crispy and the Mixed salad bags to supplement the weeds, and they have some radicchio (part of the chicory family) in it - Lola loves it. Maybe it's the colour but he always makes a beeline for the red leaves first.
www.thetortoisetable.org.uk includes salad plants, as Mark has quoted, if you need a quicker answer than you may get here.
Hope you are well today too.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Good morning Linda! Can’t wait to see these pics:) you always have great ones regardless!

Disappointingly, you aren’t allowed to take photos in the Abbey and the sun was in the wrong place for my phone to cope outside.

The best I could do was a snatched photo of the Palace of Westminster (aka Houses of Parliament) from the staircase to the Queen’s Gallery.
IMG_8594.jpg

Tips for visiting the Abbey: Buy a ticket in advance online and get there early! The number of tourists is ridiculous !

The extra money for the gallery, which opened this year, is well worth it. The cathedral galleries are part of the original fabric - up high in arches of the building - many of them just dumping areas for centuries.

It’s now accessible by a proper staircase and lift rather than a narrow spiral staircase and the views of the abbey, including places you can’t normally see, are great. The gallery now houses a fascinating display of items from over 1000 years of its existence.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Good day alll

A few things going on as we close out September and move into Autumn.. lots to do in the garden. Been trimming our massive hybrid poplars (started as mere twigs a few years ago and are now trees) and shredding the trimmings, cleaning out the perennial beds, cleaning water fountains, leaf trimming on banana trees.

Then there is perfect kayaking weather..cool morning temps just reaching low 80’s, some sunshine, big skies, but water still warm enough to swim..

Always tons of things in, on,around the house...gutter cleaning, mulching, trimming hedges, painting (if rain stops), cleaning out years of accumulated things...

And, working on a new fully insulated “night box” for our Sully and prepping indoor quarters. No small feat. Going to try and use a modified version of Tom’s Sulcata night box. Pix along the way hopefully.

Pix of the eagle I spotted the other day...

View attachment 252744
Love the picture.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Absolutely not! I find it special and a sign of friendship... I thought that’s kinda what the members of this room are??? I don’t Facebook, Instagram, or any other social media but I really find myself looking forward to checking in with all of you and I think about different things that I read from y’all through out the day.. I enjoy the opinions from a wide variety of people..
I could not have said it better.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Happy Friday to you too Carol.
Hope you have a lovely evening and enjoyed the meal.
Good luck with the dandies - I've been collecting some seed heads and scattering them too so hopefully will have a good crop next spring. The clover roots I pulled up from our old school garden and planted in mine have really spread and grown in abundance this year. It was a pity I couldn't get Lola to stay out long enough to have a good graze on it in the summer.:rolleyes: Maybe next year!
Have a great weekend.
Hope you are having a good weekend as well. I need to plant more clover as well. And need to go and get more plantain as well. Good luck with your dandies as well.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Well I just about made it here before midnight tonight - which is early for me.
I love Friday evenings with the thought of 2 whole days off work.
Hope everyone is well and looking forward to the weekend - but who wouldn't!!
September has flown by hasn't it? Only 88 days to Xmas! :eek:
Anyway, I am off to read my book for a while so will not see you all over the weekend.
Take care and Nos Da
Take care as well Lyn.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
I’m back. Sort of. Gotta work in the next few days, and there’s an international festival at school that we’re trying to organize... A busy week ahead, starting today.
Hope those hardy Danish dandelions enjoy South African soil! [emoji173]️
All planted and waiting to see what happens. [emoji3]

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Daughter’s project from the science festival (she was presenting igneous rocks):

View attachment 252812

The prince didn’t stop by her stand. She was enormously disappointed. But she dried up her tears and, with a determined, stern look on her face, said, “I’m going to talk to that prince. Mom, you come with me.”

And she headed off, through the crowd surrounding the prince in another part of the gym. Her friend begged her not to do it, but she just kept going.

Unfortunately (or otherwise), there were too many people around him, and although some of them noticed this determined little girl heading toward him, the prince himself doesn’t make any eye contact anyone, unless he is speaking with them. He looks ahead, above the crowd, and heads out of the gym to his next appointment.

Surprisingly, this did satisfy my child. She was cool and happy for the rest of the time. When I asked her later what she was going to say to the prince, she said she couldn’t remember.

View attachment 252813

Happy weekend, everyone! I’ll be away working most of the next seven days or so.
Lol. Your daughter is quite the little powerhouse. Well done on her project. It looks awesome.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Good morning all.

We are heading into London this morning. A few weeks ago we were supposed to visit the Queen's Gallery at Westminster Abbey, but the whole area got closed down due to an incident outside the Houses of Parliament which is the other side of the road. Our tickets were rebooked for today by the Abbey. :)
Oh Good luck and enjoy. Hopefully nothing happens this time.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Disappointingly, you aren’t allowed to take photos in the Abbey and the sun was in the wrong place for my phone to cope outside.

The best I could do was a snatched photo of the Palace of Westminster (aka Houses of Parliament) from the staircase to the Queen’s Gallery.
View attachment 252817

Tips for visiting the Abbey: Buy a ticket in advance online and get there early! The number of tourists is ridiculous !

The extra money for the gallery, which opened this year, is well worth it. The cathedral galleries are part of the original fabric - up high in arches of the building - many of them just dumping areas for centuries.

It’s now accessible by a proper staircase and lift rather than a narrow spiral staircase and the views of the abbey, including places you can’t normally see, are great. The gallery now houses a fascinating display of items from over 1000 years of its existence.
Looks beautiful. Pity we didn't get to see inside.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego

View attachment 252812

View attachment 252813

I can just picture her marching thru that gym!!

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
I love the glimpse I get into everyone's lives here in the CDR. I wonder if that's what Adam means by "the CDR is too much like FB." That's what I like about CDR. . . the personal stuff. I don't like FB at all. I only belong to the tortoise classified FB page, and I belong to FB under an assumed name so no one who knows me will want to 'friend' me. I'm antisocial.

So, on the "personal" note, and keeping up with our sharing theme...
I don't do FB. Too much drama. Also, a number of years ago I had some concerns about stalker-like activity directed towards me, so I'm much more comfortable here.

I don't worry about the TFO regulars knowing who I am, and for at least one member who I have known in person for years, I've deliberately left clues to help indicate who I am.

So I enjoy the personal aspect and sharing in the CDR. I welcome the pictures of furry and non-furry family and friends, as well as travel updates and anecdotes, etc. It also provides me a welcome outlet for my sense humor (humour) as well.