COLD DARK ROOM

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ottawa, Ontario
Well that was a really short catch up.

I know that Linda is still busy with govenor stuff and will probably pop in a for a short time over the weekend. Lena where have you dissappeared to? Did you get lost at the festival or did you get roped into looking after kids again?

There is not much to report from my side except .........................................wait for it..........................................................................................................

View attachment 252729

Yip my favorite day of the work week. I will be working a little bit in the garden this weekend. Fixing up the outside enclosure so that it is nice and cosy for Whitey and she will be happy.

Tonight I get to go out for dinner - we are trying a new chinese restuarant in our area. So hopefully it will be very yummy.

I planted all the dandelion seeds that Lena sent me in the outside enclosure. So hopefully they grow into nice big dandelions for the torts.

Anyway - Have an awesome Friday everyone. I hope you are looking forward to your weekend - I know that I am.

I’m back. Sort of. Gotta work in the next few days, and there’s an international festival at school that we’re trying to organize... A busy week ahead, starting today.
Hope those hardy Danish dandelions enjoy South African soil! [emoji173]️

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
I love the glimpse I get into everyone's lives here in the CDR. I wonder if that's what Adam means by "the CDR is too much like FB." That's what I like about CDR. . . the personal stuff. I don't like FB at all. I only belong to the tortoise classified FB page, and I belong to FB under an assumed name so no one who knows me will want to 'friend' me. I'm antisocial.

So, on the "personal" note, and keeping up with our sharing theme, I'm working on building a tort table in the leopard shed. There's already one in there, but it's only about 1.5 x 3' and the little leopard that has to live in there over the winter is too big for that space. So I'm making a new one all across the short side of the shed. It will be 2'x6'. I'll take pictures as I go. I received the little leopard from one of our members in SoCal. Her name is Kim, but I can't remember her username. She rescued the tortoise from very poor conditions then sent it to me. Here's pictures from when I first got it:

View attachment 252736 View attachment 252737 View attachment 252738 View attachment 252739

And here's Little Kim today, two years later:

View attachment 252740 View attachment 252741 View attachment 252742

I wish I could remember the username of the gal who sent her to me so I can show her how nicely Little Kim is doing. She's quite heavy. Of course, the pyramiding will never go away, but that's beside the point. I don't care about that. She's just about doubled in size in the two years I've had her.

So, time to go get tortoise food ready and get on with my day.

I was just going to say, “poor little thing”, but she’s not that little anymore! Great job, Yvonne!
- I do love having a glimpse into roommates’ lives, and the opportunity to share mine!

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
Well I just about made it here before midnight tonight - which is early for me.
I love Friday evenings with the thought of 2 whole days off work.
Hope everyone is well and looking forward to the weekend - but who wouldn't!!
September has flown by hasn't it? Only 88 days to Xmas! :eek:
Anyway, I am off to read my book for a while so will not see you all over the weekend.
Take care and Nos Da

Enjoy your weekend, Lyn. All the rest and relaxation you can get while away from the little beasts (as they sometimes can be). [emoji23]

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
Daughter’s project from the science festival (she was presenting igneous rocks):

IMG_7390.jpg

The prince didn’t stop by her stand. She was enormously disappointed. But she dried up her tears and, with a determined, stern look on her face, said, “I’m going to talk to that prince. Mom, you come with me.”

And she headed off, through the crowd surrounding the prince in another part of the gym. Her friend begged her not to do it, but she just kept going.

Unfortunately (or otherwise), there were too many people around him, and although some of them noticed this determined little girl heading toward him, the prince himself doesn’t make any eye contact anyone, unless he is speaking with them. He looks ahead, above the crowd, and heads out of the gym to his next appointment.

Surprisingly, this did satisfy my child. She was cool and happy for the rest of the time. When I asked her later what she was going to say to the prince, she said she couldn’t remember.

IMG_7426.jpg

Happy weekend, everyone! I’ll be away working most of the next seven days or so.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Recent article out on how Britain is tracking their rare sand lizards

https://news.sky.com/story/britains...ld-by-radio-tags-11511722?dcmp=snt-sf-twitter

First paragraph or so:

A group of Britain's rarest lizards are to be tracked using tiny radio tags as they are re-released into the wild by a Hampshire zoo. A group of 24 sand lizards have been fitted with transmitters to track their movements and behaviour as they are reintroduced into the wild by Marwell Wildlife in Hampshire. The tiny radio tags, which weigh just 0.29 grams, will help experts understand the lizards' behaviour as they are put into the wild at Eelmoor Marsh, a site of special scientific interest in Farnborough.
I should be able to get first hand news on that. Daughter is a lizard-wrangler in Hampshire :D

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Good morning all.

We are heading into London this morning. A few weeks ago we were supposed to visit the Queen's Gallery at Westminster Abbey, but the whole area got closed down due to an incident outside the Houses of Parliament which is the other side of the road. Our tickets were rebooked for today by the Abbey. :)

Laura1412

5 Year Member
Mansfield Nottinghamshire United kingdom
Good morning all hope everyone is ok Linda @JoesMum can I ask u please is red chicory safe to feed Clyde iv red up on the internet n it says it’s Belgian endive but wanted to make sure before I give him a little with his weeds please this is it

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 15

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Daughter’s project from the science festival (she was presenting igneous rocks):

View attachment 252812

The prince didn’t stop by her stand. She was enormously disappointed. But she dried up her tears and, with a determined, stern look on her face, said, “I’m going to talk to that prince. Mom, you come with me.”

And she headed off, through the crowd surrounding the prince in another part of the gym. Her friend begged her not to do it, but she just kept going.

Unfortunately (or otherwise), there were too many people around him, and although some of them noticed this determined little girl heading toward him, the prince himself doesn’t make any eye contact anyone, unless he is speaking with them. He looks ahead, above the crowd, and heads out of the gym to his next appointment.

Surprisingly, this did satisfy my child. She was cool and happy for the rest of the time. When I asked her later what she was going to say to the prince, she said she couldn’t remember.

View attachment 252813

Happy weekend, everyone! I’ll be away working most of the next seven days or so.

It looks like he has an IR temp gauge in his hand...?? Whats that gadget?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Good morning all hope everyone is ok Linda @JoesMum can I ask u please is red chicory safe to feed Clyde iv red up on the internet n it says it’s Belgian endive but wanted to make sure before I give him a little with his weeds please this is it

From the Tort Table -
  • Common Name: Endive (Belgium Endive, Chicory)
  • Latin Name: Chicorum endivia
  • Family Name: Asteracaea/Compositae
Endive is a leaf vegetable which is either cooked or used as a salad plant. It has a bitter taste but may be fed as part of a varied diet. There is much confusion about the different terms for this plant, which include Radicchio and Frisée lettuce.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas

View attachment 252812

View attachment 252813

Determination in life is Key! Bright child & cool looking science project:). Lucky Lena.... you sure must be doing something Right!

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Good morning all.

We are heading into London this morning. A few weeks ago we were supposed to visit the Queen's Gallery at Westminster Abbey, but the whole area got closed down due to an incident outside the Houses of Parliament which is the other side of the road. Our tickets were rebooked for today by the Abbey. :)

Good morning Linda! Can’t wait to see these pics:) you always have great ones regardless!

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas

Good question... now I Learn something as well :)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England

Yes, it’s fine. Feed in Moderation :)