COLD DARK ROOM

Bee62

Location (City and/or State)
Germany
The black one is Tali my girl and the tan one is Sparky and he is my special boy. He is a bit off in the head due to having parvi before his eyes where even open yet. But he is a good dog. Tali is his therapy dog lol.
Oh, parvi is a bad desease ! I have two cats that have been infected with parvi before their birth. The have both ataxia but are the loveliest cats in the world, loving their lives and are happy.

Killerrookie

Hey guys. Have some sad news. My gfs snake has passed. We were about to play with him today so he could get use to us and I went to grab him.. saw the guys dead.
I have no clue what happened, but that smell coming from him was the exact smell I smelt when I was going to give him a bath because he smelled weird.
Forward to today and I smelt it again but it was stronger.
Here are some pictures. Maybe you guys could help?
He wouldn’t eat at all when my gf got him and I thought it was normal knowing ball pythons are finicky eaters. Last week he did eat finally. This weekend was when I smelt the odor before giving him a nice soak and cleaned his habitat.
IMG_1398.jpg
IMG_1403.jpg
IMG_1401.jpg

DE42

Could be lots of things. I don't have a lot of snake experience myself so maybe someone else can help more.

But my thought is he could have had his guts impacted with bark or bedding. That could exsplane the not eating. That could have gave him an infection or other problems that caused his death. How long had you had him? Did you feed him on the bedding we see in the pic?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Wow......a lot going on here. As promised, Ma Nature and the Prognosticators came through...dropped a few inches on the area. Snow dusting our respective areas seems to be one of our recurring CDR themes. Weather, birds, fossils, cheese, paintings, potatoes, travel, back gardens, front gardens, flowers, Lillie’s, orchids, and dogs, going to class, teaching class, no class, flasks, trains, and planes, and books. Reading books, covering books, coloring books, cook books, cookies, pralines, and meerkats ohh my. Holidays too, both local and global....and frogs!

View attachment 227921
That covers most of it.
But we do talk torts, too.
Sometimes.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hey guys. Have some sad news. My gfs snake has passed. We were about to play with him today so he could get use to us and I went to grab him.. saw the guys dead.
I have no clue what happened, but that smell coming from him was the exact smell I smelt when I was going to give him a bath because he smelled weird.
He wouldn’t eat at all when my gf got him and I thought it was normal knowing ball pythons are finicky eaters. Last week he did eat finally. This weekend was when I smelt the odor before giving him a nice soak and cleaned his habitat.
View attachment 227949
View attachment 227948
View attachment 227950
That's terribly sad.
But i don't know enough about snakes to provide an answer, i'm afraid.
Poor snake.

Killerrookie

Could be lots of things. I don't have a lot of snake experience myself so maybe someone else can help more.

But my thought is he could have had his guts impacted with bark or bedding. That could exsplane the not eating. That could have gave him an infection or other problems that caused his death. How long had you had him? Did you feed him on the bedding we see in the pic?

He was fed on this dish. I watched him very carefully to make sure no substrate was eaten in the process of his meal. In September my girlfriend got him.
IMG_1404.jpg
Maybe it could of been the mouse?

DE42

He was fed on this dish. I watched him very carefully to make sure no substrate was eaten in the process of his meal. In September my girlfriend got him.
View attachment 227963
That is possible if there was something wrong with the mouse. I have read of snakes that died due to something toxic the mouse eat before. That only real way to tell would be to take it to the vet for an otopsy. (Hope I spelled that right ).

There are some good snake forums out there that you could post on as well. I wish I could be more helpful.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
View attachment 227963

So sorry for her, and your, loss. [emoji53]

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
View attachment 227949
View attachment 227948
View attachment 227950
When you posted the picture the other day I thought she looked pretty thin, but I'm not a snake person, so wasn't sure.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
View attachment 227949
View attachment 227948
View attachment 227950
So sorry your gf's snake did not make it. I know nothing about snakes other than to leave them well alone.

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
No, that was why it was called Smirnoff.
One summer in our country pup, a frog jumped in through the french windows to the beer garden and stood there on the carpet.
Some fol were a little afraid, but I picked it up and sat it on the bar.
It looked at me and i looked at it.
Already having had a couple myself, i decided to do something naughty.
I rubbed some vodka onto the frogs skin. It did a lot of stretching and somehow looking rather happy with life.
Feeling guilty I put it at the far end of the beer garden.
But the next night it came back.
And the next.
And the next
That frog came back all summer.
And the next
And the next.
i'm afraid i turned a common frog into an alcoholic.

Oh dear! :eek: But how do you know it was his first time? You might be less culPUBable than you think. ;)

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
Wow......a lot going on here. As promised, Ma Nature and the Prognosticators came through...dropped a few inches on the area. Snow dusting our respective areas seems to be one of our recurring CDR themes. Weather, birds, fossils, cheese, paintings, potatoes, travel, back gardens, front gardens, flowers, Lillie’s, orchids, and dogs, going to class, teaching class, no class, flasks, trains, and planes, and books. Reading books, covering books, coloring books, cook books, cookies, pralines, and meerkats ohh my. Holidays too, both local and global....and frogs!

View attachment 227921

Wonderful classification of themes!
Seems everyone now has a car with a white top. :confused:
We’re still waiting for the promised snow.