COLD DARK ROOM

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
Good night, Bea.

Good night, Ed. :)

I had a friend whose family immigrated to the US from Germany when she was 13. During WWII her grandfather was too old to be in the army, and her father was too young. The family was often near starvation throughout the war. Her father and grandfather would scavenge cigarette ends that they found, unroll what they could, combine the contents of several cigarette ends to make 1 whole cigarette and sell/barter them to the soldiers for anything they could get to keep the family alive.
That gave me a very different viewpoint of war in general and the German side of WWII in particular.

Bee62

Germany
I only have an acre, but there were many trees, mostly eucalyptus. As you know, eucalyptus is very brittle, and big limbs were breaking off all the time. I eventually cut them down for safety reasons. (I should say, I hired them cut down)
An acre is not little. I have half an acre and many trees too. It is a lot of work to keep such a big property in order, I know.
For the grass and the stingy nettles I have my sheep now. They eat them ! Today I get hay for them to have some food for the winter.

Bee62

Germany
Wow if I ran my heating for 24 hours a day the cost would be astronomical. Even when it's really cold I will run mine for 5-6 hours a day max!
What kind of heating do you have ? I have oil and the central heating runs on a thermostat. But to keep the water warm in the radiators it is necessary to run the heating day and night. But when I don`t need the warmth at night I turn the thermostat on the radiator off. That safes money too.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Good morning all.

It’s interesting to read everyone’s heating challenges.

Like @JSWallace we have a gas fired boiler running our hot water and central heating.

We got a new condensing boiler 2 years ago and it is massively more efficient than our old one. The boiler will pay for itself in gas savings in the next year.

We laid a lot of extra insulation in the roof when we had the boiler changed and that will have helped too.

It can be programmed separately for water and heating, so the water is on for an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening which is all it needs.

When it’s cold enough for the heating, the thermostat is set to 20C and the heating will be on 8am-10pm if we’re in.

If we’re out it goes off. If we’re away it goes into “holiday mode” ... a programme that keeps the house at 12C so it hardly ever cuts in, but stops things getting damp or frozen.

That same year, I bit the bullet and replaced all our household light bulbs with LED bulbs. We had low energy CFL type bulbs all over before, but the LEDs are even more efficient and they don’t need time to warm up and be bright. That’s had a big noticeable effect on the electricity bill too :)

Last edited:

Bee62

Germany
Hmmmm, doesnt it depend on what ones thermostat is set at? Now that it's cold here in the east coast, and below freezing, we keep our thermostat set to 65F o/a 17C. It's on ... But only really on to maintain 17C.
You are right, thermostats are good to safe money and having it warm although.

Bee62

Germany
Good night, Ed. :)

I had a friend whose family immigrated to the US from Germany when she was 13. During WWII her grandfather was too old to be in the army, and her father was too young. The family was often near starvation throughout the war. Her father and grandfather would scavenge cigarette ends that they found, unroll what they could, combine the contents of several cigarette ends to make 1 whole cigarette and sell/barter them to the soldiers for anything they could get to keep the family alive.
That gave me a very different viewpoint of war in general and the German side of WWII in particular.
Thank you Bea for that statement. My mother was a child in the WWII. What she told me about her life was terrible to hear. My grandfather was in the army but he was no Nazi. Not all Germans had been Nazis as you said Bea. Personally I think that this is history. It should not be forgotten, but it is history, over and out. My mothers was to young to know what was going on, what the Nazis do, and for me it is history that I read in books, not more. But I visited Bergen-Belsen, a monument of a concentration camp.
War is hard, terrible and cruel on every side and I hope and wish that we all don`t have war in our land anymore.

Last edited:

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Thank you Bea for that statement. My mother was a child in the WWII. What she told me about her life was terrible to hear. My grandfather was in the army but he was no Nazi. Not all Germans had been Nazis as you said Bea. Personally I think that this is history. It should not be forgotten, but it is history, over and out. My mothers was to young to know what was going on, what the Nazis do, and for me it is history that I read in books, not more. But I visited Bergen-Belsen, a monument of a concentration camp.
War is hard, terrible and cruel on every side and I hope and wish that we all don`t have war in our land anymore.

I visited Dachau. I think everyone should visit one of these former camps. It isn’t a happy experience; it shakes you to the core no matter how much you know about and understand the history.

It would make a huge difference to people’s tolerance and attitude to those who are ‘different’ for whatever reason.

To steal a quote from author Douglas Adams ”nearly two thousand years after one man had been nailed to a tree for saying how great it would be to be nice to people for a change”... visiting changes your perspective.

Bee62

Germany
I visited Dachau. I think everyone should visit one of these former camps. It isn’t a happy experience; it shakes you to the core no matter how much you know about and understand the history.

It would make a huge difference to people’s tolerance and attitude to those who are ‘different’ for whatever reason.

To steal a quote from author Douglas Adams ”nearly two thousand years after one man had been nailed to a tree for saying how great it would be to be nice to people for a change”... visiting changes your perspective.
I totally agree with you, Linda.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Yikes.
My mother's parents changed names because there was a mobster also named Nicholas DiGeronimo (grandfathers name)and my grandfather feared for the family. New name....Nick Jerome.
My dad's parents were named Mueller. Yep. Grandpa was a Nazi.....
Came here and became Franz Miller.
He also fled America shortly after dad's birth leaving him with a stepfather named Dwiggins. A mispelled name stamped on him at Ellis Island.
Welcome to America. Here's your new, pronouncable name.
A Scottish fellow we are told.
He also left home and never returned in about 1955.
No wonder why dad has children scattered all through the South. And why I take monogamy so seriously.
My family name is Gate.
From gatekeeper, they collected the taxes for using certain toll roads.
wifey's family were tax collectors in India for 3 generations during the British rule.
All very popular I'm sure.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA

Absolutely agree.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA

Big hugs to you, Bee. [emoji173]️
I am very proud of my German heritage.
[emoji173]️[emoji2][emoji173]️[emoji2][emoji173]️[emoji2][emoji173]️

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm German too, on my father's side. Both my dad's parents are from the old country. I love looking at their pictures:

granny neiss.jpg

That's my dad's mom holding my dad. She already looks too old to be having a child that age, huh? And darn it, I couldn't find his dad's picture. They lived in Oswego, Oregon and raised fox and rabbits. The father had a small neighborhood grocery store. He was a big man with a huge stomach, and had a pipe in his mouth at all times. At the time of his death, he had a groove worn in his front teeth where that pipe sat.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I'm German too, on my father's side. Both my dad's parents are from the old country. I love looking at their pictures:

View attachment 223806

That's my dad's mom holding my dad. She already looks too old to be having a child that age, huh? And darn it, I couldn't find his dad's picture. They lived in Oswego, Oregon and raised fox and rabbits. The father had a small neighborhood grocery store. He was a big man with a huge stomach, and had a pipe in his mouth at all times. At the time of his death, he had a groove worn in his front teeth where that pipe sat.
That's lovely:<3:.
Like I say, I adore history.